FINAL GOODBYE

“Nora !” Her father shouted, knocking on her door. “Someone for you downstairs,” he added, with a much colder voice. 

She glanced at the door before turning back to look at the ceiling. She’d been looking at the white paint for hours. She didn’t want to be today. She wanted to stay in bed and look at the peaceful ceiling of her bedroom. She curled up in bed and closed her eyes. Now that she was thinking about it, Nora only wanted to rest. That was what they all asked her to do. Rest

But her father knocked on the door again. “I’m awake, Dad.”

“Please, don’t call me Dad.” Nora clenched her jaw for a second. She took a deep breath, put a smile on her face, and turned around. Stephen came to sit next to her and pointed at the door. “What’s wrong with your father ?”

“He’s worried about me, that’s all,” she said. 

“How are you feeling ?”

She gently punched her stomach and smiled. “One week in Wakanda, and I feel like I have a whole new body. They fixed things I didn’t even know were damaged.” She paused and looked at her hand. “I’m sure they could’ve saved my finger.” She looked at the folded piece of paper in his hands. “What’s that ?”

“The list of people who came to see you in Wakanda,” he calmly said. Nora closed her eyes and waited for the rest. “You said you were resting.”

“I was.”

“Your entire family went there, Wong, Julie and Tobias, all of the Avengers, Pepper Potts and… a raccoon.” He looked up and arched a brow. “Was I the only one not invited ?”

She couldn’t really lie anymore. No more than she wanted Wong to lie for her. “I needed to get my shit together before talking to you,” she scoffed. “But you’re here now, and it’s good.”

“Do you want to talk about it ?”

“Not really. It’s over, everyone’s back. I just needed a few days to realize that.” And for him to answer the complete interrogation she asked Wong to conduct. But she couldn’t really talk about that. He leaned in to kiss her but Nora instinctively moved aside and jumped out of bed. “Sorry. Maybe I need a little more time to readjust,” she quickly apologized.

“Sure, okay.” He watched her closing the bathroom door and waited a few seconds. “Is everything good between us ?”

Nora froze. She looked at her reflection in the mirror. She’d never looked that bad. But it was all over now. She’d be fine. She finished to get in her dress and opened the door. “Of course. It’s just… it’s been a very long time.”

“I don’t feel like five years passed.”

“You should’ve thought about it before-” she paused and cleared her throat. “I heard people were already going to therapy. I’m sure someone will take time for you.”

“I don’t need therapy, I knew what I was doing,” he said.

Nora walked out of the bathroom and turned her back to him. “Help.” He zipped her dress up and she turned to face him. “Maybe next time I tell you to run and hide, you’ll run and hide.” She glanced at his suit. “You’re coming ?”

“Of course. Why ?”

“You didn’t know her.”

“But she’s the reason I’m here today.”

“Yeah, okay. I was just asking,” Nora said as she was braiding her hair. “I wished I didn’t look like a zombie,” she added with a nervous laugh.