THE MAGIC MAFIA

Just when she was nearing the house, Nora shivered. 

They really pulled that trick again, she thought. 

“Okay,” she whispered. “It’s just you and me now.” She glanced behind her and winced. “And possibly everyone practicing the mystic arts in the world.”

She was pretty sure Stephen wouldn’t give up that easily and that he’d come back with a bunch of sorcerers. Wong, probably. A few others. Luckily for her, she never really cared about most of them. She wouldn’t mind sending a little fire their way if they tried to stop her. 

For now, the only magic users she was interested in were in that house. Before she could even reach the front porch, a man opened the door and quietly stared at her. 

Nora smiled and gave him a questioning look. “I don’t speak Swedish, but I’m sure you don’t either.”

Instead of answering, he just stepped out of the house, leaving the door open for her. 

“Rude,” Nora said, carefully entering the house. 

Weirdly enough, Stephen’s visit comforted her in her chances of destroying these people. If he didn’t send an army of sorcerers against her, she had pretty good chances of getting out of there alive. Which wasn’t even her main objective in the first place. But she burned his spell, and it made her feel pretty good about herself. 

Nora closed the door and looked at the single room she was in. 

“Sorry I’m late,” she said, hoping that someone would hear her. “I was busy breaking up. Pretty messy if you want my opinion,” she added. She knew she should be sad, but she didn’t really care anymore. 

Everything she wanted was here. 

A woman appeared at the top of the stone stairs and smiled at her. “I’m sorry to hear that, Ms Keller.” She looked like a very wealthy lawyer. Perfect straight hair, perfect light makeup, perfect expensive pantsuit, snarky half-smile.

“I’m not. He’s a bit of an ass.”

“Should we expect more company ?” the woman asked, holding her hand to Nora. "I wouldn't want the Sorcerer Supreme to interrupt us."

"How do you-" Nora stopped. Of course they knew. She'd been a celebrity for years. It didn't make things better. She looked at the window and shrugged. “I honestly don’t know. Maybe ? We should be quick, then. I wouldn’t want them to ruin the little spell you have going on,” she said, casually shaking the woman’s hand. “So you’re a woman.”

The woman smiled. “Are you surprised ?”

“A little, yeah.”

“Your ring wouldn’t work with a man, why would you be surprised to see a woman looking for it ?”

“Makes sense,” Nora muttered. “Are we going to stand or… ? I mean, I’ve been attacked by a pretty powerful sorcerer less than ten minutes ago, I’m a bit tired.”

The woman showed her the two chairs and the table in the middle of the room and scoffed. “Messy indeed.”

Men.”

“I couldn’t agree more.” They sat in front of each other and the woman crossed her arms. “My name is Loretta. You killed my daughter.”

“What a coincidence, you killed my father.” Nora stopped and leaned forward. “Who’s your daughter ?”

Bea. Her name was Bea.”

Nora burst out laughing. She hadn't thought about that name in years. “That bitch slapped me. If you want my opinion, she deserved to die.”