DEAL WITH THE DEVIL

At the first red light along the road, Nora stopped the car and looked at the man on the passenger’s seat. 

“What do you want from me, Kaecilius ?” she asked, afraid of what his answer might be. 

“As a friend, I wanted to let you know how sorry I was,” he replied. “Do you feel any different ?”

Nora glanced at him, surprised to see that he seemed to genuinely be concerned about her. The light turned green, and she started driving again. “Not yet. It’s gonna come along the years, I suppose.”

“I know you went back to Kamar-Taj.”

Nora chuckled dryly. Here went the true concerns about her wellbeing. “How do you know that, exactly ? And how did you know where to find me ? You’ve been spying on me ?”

“When I learned you went back, I made sure you were safe.”

“So you’ve been spying on me. And my family.” She kept focusing on the road. “Look, I know what you did,” she said after a few seconds. “Beheading, really ?”

“It’s a small price to pay, Nora. When we’re done, we’ll be granted eternal life. You could be free from the curse of the ring,” Kaecilius explained. She briefly looked at him before turning her attention back to the road. “I know you won’t fight the Ancient One. She’s lying to us all and yet, you seem to be loyal to her.”

“She’s letting me do my research and asked everyone to open portals for me. That’s kinda nice.” Nora looked at the steering wheel and sighed. “What about the others ? Some of them are my friends. They used to be yours, too.” She paused, unsure if she wanted to ask what was on her mind. “What about the students ? What if one of them had been there when you stole the rituals ? They never swore to protect anything. You would’ve killed them too ?”

When their eyes met, she understood that he would have, indeed, hurt an innocent student. She sighed and looked back at the road in front of her. 

“Allow me to propose a deal. When the time comes,” Kaecilius started, “don’t interfere. Step aside. Don’t fight with us, but don’t fight alongside the Ancient One either.”

“There will be a fight, then.”

“She’ll never let us do it without fighting.”

Nora turned right and entered her brother’s neighborhood. “What if I tell her you came to see me ?”

“You won’t do it.”

“How do you know ?” she scoffed.  

The car stopped and Kaecilius turned to her. “Because when we’re successful, you’ll be free. You won’t have to be scared of death anymore. Your niece will be safe. All I’m asking you is to stay on the side.”

Nora waited for him to get out of the car and locked it. She walked to the door but stopped before getting in, turning back to him. “Don't kill anyone.”

Kaecilius smiled at her. “I see your concern about others hasn’t changed. Think about your family, and what’s best for them. What’s better for this innocent child, Nora ? Will you condemn her to the same fate ?”

Without waiting for an answer, he opened a portal and disappeared, leaving Nora alone in front of her brother’s house. She got in and walked to the master bedroom to grab Kelly’s bag, which was actually the biggest suitcase she’d ever seen. She laughed to herself and stopped in front of the door across the hallway. 

She slowly opened it and smiled at the baby’s bedroom. Everything was new and waiting for Emily to come home with her parents. They were about to have a life here. Nora quickly closed the door, feeling like she was invading.