FIELD TRIP

Nora went back to the Sanctum the next day, ready to find a murderer. She spent the whole night convincing herself that she was fine with being a member of the magic police, and she had every intention of getting things done as fast as possible. 

When she made it to the library, Wong was already there, working on his spells. “Breakfast is in the kitchen. If you can call that a kitchen, by the way.” 

“All Sanctums are built the same,” he said, looking up from the table. 

“Still not a kitchen. That thing is a fire hazard.” She looked around and frowned. “Where’s Stephen ? He came to get me twelve hours early but can’t be bothered to wake up on time ?”

She didn’t wait for Wong to say anything and walked away. He had to be somewhere, and they needed to talk about what he did to her family. She spent hours promising her parents that she’d be safe. They were terrified. Kelly called in the middle of the night begging her to stay in Seattle. 

He wasn’t in the kitchen, no more than anywhere in the stairs. She checked a few rooms without success and was about to give up when she noticed the cloak flying around. 

“Hey, Cape !” she shouted. The cloak stopped and flew right to her. “Where’s your best friend ?” The cloak didn’t move for a second, and ended up lifting a corner to point at her. “Nice try,” she scoffed. “The other one.” 

It quickly turned around and led her across the halls. She had a much better time dealing with the fact that she was now talking to pieces of clothing, and she had to admit that the cloak was useful. Way more than her ring. She’d trade that thing anyday. 

They stopped in front of a door and Nora quickly knocked. As soon as she heard something inside, she opened the door and froze. Stephen was there, which was good. He was also in the middle of getting dressed, which was not good. 

She took a step back and immediately closed the door. “You could’ve told me,” she whispered to the cloak, already flying away from her.

A few minutes later, Stephen left the room and stopped in front of Nora. “You’re here early.”

“I wanted to talk to you.” He crossed his arms and waited for Nora to keep going. “You showed up at my parents’ house. That was inappropriate. You’re never doing this again. They’re worried about me now.”

“Inappropriate ?” he repeated. “Nora, you just entered my room, uninvited, while I was getting dressed.”

“Yeah, sorry about that. But please, don’t ever do that again. They don’t want that kind of life for me.”

“Do you ?”

She shrugged. “It doesn’t matter what I want. We need to find this maniac before he kills someone I know.”

“What about the ones you don’t know ?” he asked, following her down the stairs. 

“I don’t really care.” She rolled her eyes when she saw the disapproving look on his face. “Why do you think I never talked to anyone in Kamar-Taj ? I don’t want to know about their problems. Because then I start to care and… Well, I end up being involved in things I shouldn’t be involved in.”

“Are we still talking about these murders ?”

“No.”

In the kitchen, Wong was already picking up everything he wanted to keep from the bag Nora brought with her. “Your brother did that ?” he asked. 

“Nope. Italian food only. I never brought you anything from his restaurant ?” 

“You said you would,” Wong replied, taking a bite from his breakfast. “But you never did.”