DISRUPTIONS

Nora didn’t know how long it lasted before Wanda got tired of her little game, but she was clearly more patient than Nora first thought. The more she was setting things on fire while still sorting the pumpkins, the more Wanda was taking it down with water. Wanda tried to force her to take the ring off a few times, only to be met with huge flames rising from the ground, always turning Betty’s attention away from her hand.  

At least Wanda made sure people wouldn’t scream. It was rather funny, seeing everyone moving on with their day while everything was burning around them. Not for a second did Nora think about how this could affect their real selves inside. She didn’t care anymore. She only wanted to be free, and to make Wanda angry enough to take her guard down. And then Nora was probably going to try and burn her too. For good measure. 

But Wanda used her only efficient weapon against Nora. The second she came back with her children, Nora took down all the fire. Whatever they were, they were only children. Deep inside, Nora knew Wanda wasn’t really trying to take her down. That woman forced Thanos, while he was wearing a full set of Infinity Stones, to commit suicide and take his whole army with him. A ring was clearly no match against her. 

You want me to give up, don’t you ?

Of course Nora wouldn’t burn anything while the town was overflowing with children. She never imagined that there were so many before. Now that she was thinking about it, Betty was working in a supermarket and she’d never met any child. No child, no teenager, no baby. Only the ones in Wanda’s nightmares. Maybe that was what Vision was talking about. 

Vision… 

Nora couldn’t comprehend how Wanda brought him back to life. He was a part of their everyday life now, and Nora found herself not even questioning that he was there. But he died, she saw it. He died twice in front of her. No one ever said that Wanda could raise the dead. 

Betty stopped moving, still ignoring Nora’s request to do things for her. Like running away from this town and get some help. When she turned around, Wanda and a man were walking towards her, the man pointing in Betty’s direction with an amazed expression on his face. 

“Wow,” he said when they joined Betty. “You really did good with that one, sis.” He turned to Betty and smiled. “What’s your name ?”

“Betty Cooper,” Betty said. “I’ve never seen you around here,” she added with a warm smile. 

He shook his head, stunned. “I’m Wanda’s brother. Pietro.”

No way. He’s dead too. Very dead.

“Pleased to meet you,” Betty responded. Everything about Betty made Nora hate her even more each passing second. 

Tired of these people, Nora looked for a place without children, but they were everywhere. She hated them too now. Surely they weren’t able to walk on the rooftops. When the fire on top of the buildings started illuminating the night, Wanda pushed Nora to the side and grabbed her arm.

“I told you to stop. Can’t you just let me live ?” 

She was clearly on edge. She used to be all happy and everything, and now she was looking more stressed than Nora just before stress almost killed her. 

Betty looked at her with sad eyes. “I’m so sorry,” she said. “I don’t understand why it keeps happening.”

“Did you hear her scream ?” Pietro said, trying to breathe over his laughter. “Give her a break, she’s scared of fire. Do you get the irony ?” he asked, looking back at Wanda. 

How do you know ? You were dead long before I set that stupid street on fire.

Wanda turned to him and frowned. “How do you know about her ? You were already…”