AN OLD FRIEND

Nora left a cup of coffee on the kitchen counter and leaned against the wall. “Did you get me the books I asked you for ?”

“I did,” Stephen sighed, walking out of her room. “You could’ve gone yourself.” 

“I don’t want to see him,” she coldly said. “But it’s nice to see that you picked a side. And see ? I’m not even surprised it’s not mine.”

He looked at her and crossed his arms. “Are you ready to talk about it ?” he asked. “What you said about your ring and me ?”

“No.”

“See ? I’m not even surprised you don’t want to talk about important things anymore,” he simply said. He leaned in, kissed her cheek, and walked away. “Why do you want to learn about binding spells ?”

She shrugged. “I need to keep myself busy while I’m waiting for my family to forgive me for Wong’s mistakes.”

As soon as he left, Nora went back to her room. She still had to get dressed. 

Ever since everything went down with Wong, things had been difficult with Stephen. He knew that the ring didn’t trust him anymore. And Nora told him about the Flames only reacting to her survival instincts. Of course he took it personally. 

She couldn’t even say that she cared that much anymore. She didn’t really feel anything. She had a mission now, a goal of her own. While everything around her was crumbling, she was busy trying to get people to pay. 

And it all started with a trip to Switzerland. 

Nora looked around her. Switzerland wasn’t so bad. She had some trouble figuring out what language people wanted to talk, but she was just going along and switching between Italian, German and French all the time. 

As she was walking down the street, she remembered a time when all she cared about was to find her next destination. Simpler times. She was probably fine back then. 

She took another look at the file Tony gave her and stopped in front of a cute little house. White, wooden details on the walls. The only one in the neighborhood where the chimney had been taken off. Nora scoffed and walked to the door. She knocked and waited a few seconds, until she heard footsteps on the inside. 

The footsteps stopped and Nora got ready for the door to open. Instead, she heard some rushed noise. Someone was leaving, and they seemed in a bit of a hurry. 

Nora sighed. She just wanted to talk, and he was already being difficult.  

She checked around her and carefully placed her hand on the handle. The door was locked, but the metal melted pretty fast. When she opened the door, all the noise stopped. 

She looked in front of her, at the man trying to escape, and smiled. “Hey Jimmy. It’s been a while.”

He tried to take a confident posture, ruined by the fact that he looked absolutely terrified. “Why are you here ? I didn’t do anything to your father.”

“Oh, good. You already know why I’m here,” she said. Nora tried to look inside and nodded behind him. “You got coffee ?”

“You- You want coffee ?”

“Yeah. I’m not supposed to, but I don’t really care.” Seeing that he wasn’t moving and looking at her very suspiciously, Nora raised her hands. “Don’t worry, I’m only here to talk. That’s it.”

He seemed taken aback by the idea of talking to the woman he so disgustingly betrayed years ago, but he moved to the side to let her walk inside the living room. Nora looked around her. Jimmy always had the decorating taste of a very old man. And the loyalty of a backstabbing bitch.