FEAR

As the nurse was silently pushing Nora’s wheelchair in the hallway after yet another exam, Nora looked around and sighed. “Can I go outside today ?”

“In the street ?”

“Can I ?”

“Not on your own,” the nurse laughed. “I can get you to the cafeteria if you want.”

Nora smiled at her. “Yes please.”

She wanted to be anywhere but her room. It was small, and people were always coming in and out. Even in the middle of the night or super early in the morning. Not that it mattered, since Nora wasn’t exactly sleeping anymore, but she wanted to be alone sometimes. People always checking up on her got boring after a few days. 

The nurse stopped next to a table and smiled. “Ask someone when you want to go back.”

Nora checked her phone. “Don’t worry about me. I’ll have a visitor in about an hour.”

For as long as she could, Nora stayed there, watching the people around her in silence. She couldn’t wait to be able to walk again. It had been a couple weeks already, and only her voice was getting better. She still sounded like a sick old cat most of the time, but it didn’t hurt that much anymore. As for the rest of her injuries, she’d have to be very patient. 

Her brain was a mess. The concussion wasn’t as bad as they thought, but she was now suffering from recurring nightmares keeping her awake at night. On the bad days, she was even convinced that Hallberg and Bea were in her room, telling her that they were waiting for her to die. When she was awake. She was most likely going crazy, but she couldn’t really tell anyone. Because everyone thought she didn’t remember what happened, and her mother forbade her from ever talking about these people again. Not to mention how embarrassing it would’ve been to admit that she was imagining dead people talking to her.

Her leg was still healing, lying straight in front of her. It’d be better if she could at least bend it. She’d be taking less space around her. She’d be able to avoid the sorry looks from everyone walking next to her. She’d be able to avoid the questions in the halls. ‘Oh, poor thing, what happened to you ?’ ‘I don’t remember, but I’m fine.’ It was getting exhausting. 

Of course her hand was the worst. After a few days, everyone agreed to lower the amount of painkillers Nora was allowed. The pain came back immediately. She asked to see what it looked like once, and never asked again. Her hand was a weird shade of red, and her finger was a disgusting shade of grey. That thing was really dead. Most days, Nora was just grateful to be alive. But sometimes… sometimes she wished they’d just cut it. She never wanted to see it again. 

Most of the time, she simply wished the amnesia story she was telling was true.

“I thought your parents got you a new phone,” Stephen said, sitting in front of her. 

“They did,” she said, showing him the brand new device. 

“Then text someone when you’re not in your room,” he sighed. “Do you think I want to look for you everywhere ?” She laughed and took the cup of coffee he placed in front of her. “They won’t be coming tomorrow.”

“Why ?”

He shrugged. “I think your mother is going to burn the insurance company. She said she’d call me to tell me who I need to give a ride to. Does she think I’m some kind of airline for the Keller family ?”

“Technically, you are,” Nora laughed. “You’ve been getting them in and out of here a lot. I’ll pay you for that.”

“When ?”