Episode 28 "The Boneless Bride in the River" Part 1

Start from the beginning

Temp then says, "It must have been difficult to remove all those smaller bones, like the phalanges." Cam then says, "Well, it's all gone. I didn't even find one bone." Hodgins comes in, "The algae in the trunk is cyanobacteria called Microcystis Aeruginosa. The size of the... scum colony indicates eight days submersion." We all then watch as Temp stands up and starts leaving as Hodgin turns around and says, "Dr. Brennan? Have I offended you in some way?" "Dr. Saroyan said no bones, so you know what that means? I'm back on vacation. No Bones, no bones. That- I was the second 'Bones." I chuckle as Cam says, "That's very witty." I then yell out to Temp leaving, "Have a good time Temp." She waves us off as I chuckle and look over at Booth. "I guess it will just be you and me rolling around." He nods as I noticed that something was bothering him. But I don't push on it.

We are in Zack workspace as he and Hodgins are setting things up he starts to explain his plan with Cam and I. "Essentially, all we have to do is refill the empty head like a balloon. Which is literally what we did." I turn white as Cam says, "Oh, no. You did not." Hodgin then says, "Put a bladder inside the head and inflate it very slowly." We watch as he turns on the air  as the head starts to stand and expand making me go whiter and disgusted. Cam doesn't know what to say as well as I as she says, "This is- It's absolutely- " Hodgins tries to finish her sentence, "Brilliant?" I shake my head finishing the sentence for her, "Useless... You can't do that... First you need the exact shape of a skull to et a likeness. Not just a-" Cam adds, "This is- turn that off." I nod as Angie comes in seeing what the boys were doing, "Oh, my God. You guys are perverse." I then add, "Your lucky that I have seen worse or I would've thrown up just by seeing that." Cam adds, "Dr. Brennan was right. Bone people should only do bone things." Cam and Angie leaves first as I look at the two. "Let's just pretend that none like this ever happened... and this is the worst idea that you both ever came up with..." I walked away and try to forget that ever happened.

I am in Cam's office as Zack comes in with the head as she asks us, "I can't find anything on how to estimate the height of a body without bones. Does the skin stretch or contract without a skeleton?" Zack then says, "Boiled leather immersed in water would tend to stretch, then contract as it dries. Maybe the principles apply."  I nod, "That's worth a shot." Cam then adds, "I'm finding bruising on the torso." We look at the screen with where the bruising she was referring to as she continues, "I'll subject the tissue to Reflectent spectroscopy to get a rough idea... of when the blows were sustained and whether they were fatal."

Zack then says, "Dr. Saryan, Venus. the face debacle taught me a lesson. I'm strictly a bone guy like Dr. Brennan." I smile a bit as Cam then says, "Which is why we exactly called for you, bone boy." She shows him the bone as I say, "Surprise it's a patella."  Cam nods as I watched in amusement with Zack getting excited as she says, "X-rays showed it lodged in the fatty tissue of the leg." Zack nods and picks up a tray for Cam to put the bone down as he says, "A bone- something we can work with." Cam places it down and says, "It's just a kneecap, Zack. Don't get too excited." I chuckle, "Let him have his moment Cam." Zack then says, "To you, it's just a kneecap. To Dr. Brennan, it's the best part of a human being." I nod knowing my sister very well as Cam says, "Good to know." We watch him leave as I stand back up from sitting and start walking out of the door as I say, "I am going to go with him and check out the kneecap, call me if you need anything." "All right."

Zack and I are viewing the bone as Booth walk in with Temp. I look at them, "Hey Temp... What are you doing here?" "Booth said that you guys found a bone." I nod, "Yes, it is a patella." She looks at the screen with me with a zoomed image of the bone as I point at some spots, "here and here. Frontal spurring." Booth nods, "Mm-hmm. what's that mean?" Temp then says, "Zack?" "A lot of time spent on the knees." "Oh, she's either a nun or a prostitute." Temp and I look at him as Zack continues, "No. The tendon attachments on the inside of the patella also suggests squatting, which is not nun like behavior." Temp then says, "You didn't need to interrupt my vacation for this, you know." We look at Booth as he says, "Well, you know, you said to call if a bone showed up, and there is a bone." I then cut the bit of tension that was there with nudging Zack to continue talking. He nods saying, "The density of second osteon structures...  suggests the victim was in her early 20s at the time of her death."