🍂🍁Chapter 28🍁🍂

The call still haunted him. he'd told Lila many times to not to toy with alphas. He warned all his omega clients to stay away, that the idea of toying with alphas seemed nice, but it never worked out. Lila had been like so many of them, though, drawn to the fire no matter if it burned them. Had Jimin been any different before he'd suffered the scars of that choice?

And it had burned Lila. It had consumed her that night until nothing but ash was left. She'd called near midnight, tears in her voice, breathless and in pain.

'Please help me,' she'd cried into the phone when Jimin had picked up.

'Lila? What's wrong? Where are you?' Panic in his voice.

'I was wrong. You were right. Come get me, please?'

Jimin grabbed the car keys, ready to go. 'Where are you?'

A crash on the other side of the line, a gasp, a whimper. Shuffling and heavy breathing. 'He found me.'

'Who? Please, Lila, tell me where you are.' Jimin had slammed the car door shut, willing to take the risk to get caught, just to get to his friend sooner.

'I'm sorry,' Lila had sobbed into the phone before an all-too-familiar sound came in the background.

The vicious growl of a furious alpha had burned into his memory years ago, the sound that snapped him out of sleep, the sound that haunt him every time.

The line had clicked dead.

Jimin dragged his fingers through his hair to push away the memory. He'd called back, but Lila hadn't answered. By morning, he'd found the articles online. Dead Omega found in Alley.

Each line had dragged his anger deeper, each time they talked about Lila as if she were nothing but an omega, as if the tragedy of her murder lay only with the alphas who couldn't claim her anymore.

Nowhere did they talk about her sweetness, about the way she doodled on the sides of all her to-do lists because she'd said she needed happiness with her work. No one cared that Jimin had taught her how to Fishtail-braid her hair, or that Lila had made Jimin a necklace he wore most days.

In short? No one cared that Lila had been a young girl with a future, a plan, a personality and a life. When reading the articles, Jimin had sworn he'd do something about it.

No one cared, but damn it, Lila deserved better. She deserved someone who gave a damn, who would do something. Since Lila had run out on her abusive family, she had no one but him.

Later Jimin found out she was dating an alpha who works in secret society from a small business card which tucked into her daily planner and its edges crinkled as if Lila has touched it often. It led him to the alpha named Seojin, his six alpha's dearest friend.

Lila, as so many others, had believed this one was different. They always said the same thing---this one's different. Lila had told Jimin nothing about him, had everything secret since he knew Jimin would disapprove.

But Jimin had promised Lila his help, and nothing would stop him.

*****

Jimin was sure the alpha who had killed his best friend had to work here, since she'd dated him regularly for few weeks prior to the end, and she'd seen him at least twice a week and the day she was killed she came here like always.

While Jimin didn't want to expose himself to the alpha, didn't like the risk, he knows his life was already doomed. The easiest way to get in any information would be a lie about wanting a network set up for a counselling business.