chapter fifty seven

Start from the beginning

"The Worlds signifies a shot at redemption. A chance to pull yourself up from the wreckage like a phoenix from the ashes." Aubrey spoke, pacing up and down the line of Bella's and Emily muttered something about that quote being inspirational and calling Aubrey a white Beyoncé, "But you don't have a chance in hell of winning until you find your sound again. You've totally lost your harmony. For the next two days, you're going to do everything together until you regain it. No distractions."

When Aubrey said something about distractions, she looked at me first and I caught the subtle glance she shot to my sister and I think Chloe noticed it too because she smiled at me. I blew her a kiss and she caught, putting her fist over her heart.

"And that means you must sever all ties to the outside world. I need you to surrender your cell phones, tablets, pocket organizers, smart watches, laptops, everything." Aubrey grabbed a bin and walked down the line and I begrudgingly put my cellphone in there.

Thankfully I had told Kylar, Travis and Megan that I was going to be off the grid for a while. Kylar was more than ecstatic, thinking I was working on the album and Travis and Megan both said they were gonna miss me with the kissing face emoji.

Once Aubrey had everyone's device, she finished up her little speech, "Okay, then. Ladies, get ready to be transformed. You're surrounded by the strength of your fellow Bellas, the support of a proud female tradition and... A few dozen bear traps so don't stray from the marked paths. Now there are no guest rooms, you will be sleeping in tents that you must assemble yourselves. Think of it as your first team building exercise. You need to set up your tents before the sun goes down. I'll check back in later. Good luck, Bella's."

With that being said, the blonde woman hopped into a four wheeler with another person from the camp and drove away down the path. All of us shared a look before walking over to the small clearing she pointed to and looked over the massive number of tent pieces on the ground.

"I'll just lay here and you can build that tarp house around me." Fat Amy said, lying down on the grass and giving up all hope.

"And how will this help us beat Das Sound Machine? If anything we're just gonna get all hot and sweaty." Beca said, irked.

Chloe put her hands on her hips, "Look, Aubrey told me that while her methods can be unconventional, she gets results. I mean, I'm excited to see what happens when a bunch of

College girls who have lost their way are forced to work together to assemble something with their hands out in the middle of nowhere, aren't you?"

Beca shot the ginger a skeptical look before we broke up into two groups to assemble the two tents.

"Next we're gonna have to go and hunt our own food if we wanna eat." Beca muttered.

— • —

After an hour or two we got the giant tents set up nicely when the sound of an engine approached and it was Aubrey on her four wheeler and she was nice enough to bring bottled water for all of us.

"Look, Aub. We did it!" Chloe grinned, showing off the tents proudly.

"It looks good. Good job, Bella's." Aubrey side hugged her best friend, "Now you all should rest. We have a lot to do tomorrow."

When the blonde turned to leave, a creaking and cracking sound was heard and we all looked around confused to what it was and where it was coming from.

"What's that sou-"

Before Chloe could even finish her sentence, the noise was heard again followed by the falling and crashing of a tree falling onto one of our tents. We all winced, appalled that even happened. Aubrey didn't look surprised in the slightest, like it was normal for trees to just break and go timber.

"Well, look at that. I guess you're doubling up. Don't go shoulder-to shoulder. Head-to-toe. More room that way. Nightie night!" Aubrey said before she was speeding off in that four wheeler.

— • —

We were all packed in the tent. I was about to take Chloe and go and sleep on the bus since there were beds in there. Beca was on my left and Chloe was on my right, curled against my side she was practically on top of me from how smooshed we all were.

"I feel like a fucking sardine." Beca huffed, "The air we're breathing is also like ninety percent fart."

I put my hand over my mouth to stifle my laughter as my sister kept ranting off her bitter thoughts.

"I mean come on, the actual guests get to drink champagne and eat fancy food. I mean do I not deserve some respect? And Chloe is her best friend for fuck sake and we are living like dogs. I want to find her and tell her to her pretty face that we deserve better." Beca huffed, getting up with a struggle and stormed out of the tent.

"Go get your girl, loser." I mumbled with a small smile on my face.

BECA'S POV:

I was on my way to the resort building when I bumped into Aubrey again. It only fueled my anger and I kept myself from stumbling this time.

"We have got to stop bumping into each other." I huffed, "What are you doing out here?"

"What am I doing out here? What are you doing out here?" Aubrey pointed the finger back at me.

"I'm looking for you! I don't want to sleep in a tent smooched against other woman. I am feeling parts of them I never wanted to in my life. I know we lost our harmony, but I don't think this is gonna help." I ranted off, nostrils flaring.

Aubrey crossed her arms over her chest, "You know you have a serious trust problem. Why can't you just go with the flow and trust that this is going to work? You told me to take care of myself like we were never gonna see each other again."

"Because you were going to pursue this. I'm not saying I wouldn't support you-"

"That what, Beca? Do you honestly think that I was gonna let anything get in the way of you and I being together. I love you, Beca." Aubrey took a few steps closer to me.

I opened and closed my mouth, not finding words to speak so instead I made a frustrated growl, "I shouldn't have come to find you. You said no distractions. I'm just gonna go sleep on the fucking bus."

Turning on my heel to go and walk away, the woman grabbed my wrist and turned me around to face her, our lips inches apart.

"Fuck what I said about distractions. You are my biggest one. You fog up my head all day. So kiss me. Please." Aubrey said passionately and how could I deny the woman who set my soul on fire any less than another pint of gasoline to make the flame grow brighter.

a/n: cute