Piccolo took a step towards the elder. "Then let's fuse."

"Not yet. I will observe a little longer to better assess the situation." He stepped to the edge of the platform and looked down.

Piccolo had to hide his surprise at Kami's reaction. He had seen how strong the androids were and what a threat they posed to humanity. What made him hesitate now? But he had no choice. "I will wait," he finally said and sat down on the ground with his legs crossed.

- - - - - -

Kera:

Krillin, Kera and Trunks reached Kakarrot and Chichi's house. Excitedly, Gohan came running towards them from the hut.

Kera got down on her knees and hugged the boy. "Where's Piccolo?" he asked softly next to her ear.

She froze. On the approach, she had been wondering whether she should tell Gohan and Chi-Chi how Piccolo had insulted and even attacked her before he flew away without explanation and had come to the conclusion that Kakarrot's safety had top priority, but Gohan's question stung her and she felt tears welling up. Chi-Chi, who had now also come out of the house, immediately recognised the situation and knelt down beside Kera to hug her tightly.

Kera leaned against the other woman and suppressed a sob. Silent tears ran down her cheeks. Chi-Chi said nothing, just held her close.

Krillin cleared his throat. "Chi-Chi, we must get Goku to safety. The androids are looking for him. We'll fly to Master Roshi. Yamcha, do you have a plane?"

The addressed, who had seemingly not left Kakarrot's side since his collapse, nodded and went back into the house to get a hoipoi capsule. A few seconds later, a plane was parked next to the house.

"I need to gather some things quickly," Chi-Chi said, slowly detaching herself from Kera.

Kera wiped the tears from her cheeks and nodded. Now was no time to sink into self-pity and doubt. She had to support Chi-Chi and Kakarrot. Secretly, she admired the black-haired woman. She had to fear for her husband's life and had just learned that she had to hide from the androids, but she remained calm.

Kera stood up and straightened. "I will help you."

Together they went into the house and packed the most necessary things as quickly as they could. Clothes, food, toiletries and Kakarrots medicines. In the meantime, the men had carried Kakarrot into the plane and laid him on the ground in the back and strapped him down.

Trunks, Krillin and Gohan sat down on the benches in the front of the plane, Yamcha took the controls. Chi-Chi took a seat on the ground next to Kakarrot and Kera squeezed into the far corner next to the cargo hatch. Yamcha started the plane.

Kera kept casting quick glances at Kakarrot. He was sweating and sleeping very restlessly. He seemed to be in pain. Chi-Chi kept dabbing the sweat from his forehead. Kera blocked out the others' conversations as best she could. She tried to make contact with Piccolo again and again, but it was as if she ran into a wall. Incessantly she rubbed the writing on her wrist. Had Piccolo really not meant all that?

- - - - - -

Piccolo:

"You blocked your connection to Kera." Kami didn't look at him as he spoke. He was still staring down at the earth, spellbound.

"What's it to you?" he snapped at the elder.

"Well, if we merge, I'll be a part of it too."

Piccolo just made a growling sound.

"You have a really special connection, Piccolo. In the entire universe, something like this only happens once every few hundred years."

Piccolo was getting curious now after all. "What's so special about that?"