We Belong Together

Yin watched as War and Maya walked arm in arm looking at the various decorations inside the bridal store. Maya looked happy, beaming with her bride-to-be radiant.

            “This is gorgeous don’t you think? It would be perfect at our wedding…” she said, picking up a colourful bouquet of fake flowers.

            “Yeah…why don’t you just go around and pick anything you like? It’s your big day anyway…” War pinched her cheek.

            “Our big day…” she smiled.

            “Yes…our big day…”

War went towards his best friend Yin leaving Maya immersed in her quest searching for the best item with the wedding planner.

            “What’s wrong?” War asked when he saw the change on Yin’s expression.

            “Why do I have to be here? I got a lot of work to do you know…” Yin sounded annoyed.

            “You’re my best friend and my best man for the wedding…”

Yin cringed at the word 'wedding'. It’s not like he hated the idea of marriage, in fact he was looking forward for the time when he would be settling down, and having kids with his own partner…it’s just that he didn’t want the love of his life walking down the aisle with another woman.

Yup, Yin loved War…almost for the rest of the time he knew the guy. They met during their college days and bonded instantly. They had good relationship…fooling around each other…sex included of course but War made it sure that it was no string attached while Yin was falling in love with the latter deeper as the time went by.

Yin thought they would have something eventually but when War introduced Maya to him couple of months back and told him they were getting married; shock was the least thing that Yin felt. Maya is a sweet girl, polite and nice…she had a great personality and all around likeable.

            “Hey...what’s wrong?” War nudged Yin by the shoulder.

            “Nothing…I just think that I shouldn’t be here…”

            “How about tonight we go down to P'Mew’s club and wind down a little? Maybe get you laid…when did the last time you get laid? All those sexual frustration is not good for your health I’m telling you…” War chuckled.

            “No thanks…I’m not in the mood…”

            “C’mon…Maya will be fine…”

            “No…look, I gotta go…Prem will claw my face if I’m late to the office…”

Yin get up and get ready to leave. Before he could take the second step, War pulled him by the elbow.

            “Yin…” he said.

            “Please War…just let me go…” Yin slowly pulled back his hands. “I’ll call you later…”

Maya came.

            “Where does P'Yin go?” she asked as she watched Yin went out of the store.

            “He got some work to do at the office…done with your findings?”

            “Yup…they have amazing stuff here…”

War walked into his apartment and slumped on the sofa. The day was tiring, walking around accompanying Maya shopping for the wedding. Wedding…the word still felt surreal for him. He’s getting married to a girl in couple of weeks.