xxxv.

Lydia, Ethan, Adele, and Jackson stood at the front of the high school entrance.

Lydia made the first move into the building, the others following.

"Remember, you can't look at it. You have to fight it blind." the strawberry blonde reminded,

"How about we don't fight it? Just get our friends and get the hell out of here?" Ethan suggested.

"Works for me." Jackson agreed, before they were all hit with a wave.

"It's here." Lydia let out as Adele and the other groaned at the impact.

"Shut your eyes." Lydia demanded.

"Lydia." Jackson tried to object.

"Shut your eyes!" she demanded and they group did as told.

Adele had lost everyone as she tried to maneuver her way through the school blind.

"Adele." a voice whispered in the blonde's ear.

"Who's there?" Adele questioned, fear evident.

"Adele." the voice grew clearer.

"Derek?" Adele questioned.

"I'm here, open your eyes." the voice commanded.

Adele was about to open her eyes, but stopped when she realized something was wrong.

"No." Adele spoke as she stood alone with the Anuk-ite.

Adele was quick to notice the odd heartbeat surrounding the person in front of her.

Adele stood strong on her decision not to open her eyes and eventually the waves of nausea left her.

The blonde sighed in relief and continued slowly down the hallway.

Adele suddenly picked up a weak heartbeat, alarming the woman.

Against her better judgement, Adele walked further down the hall and opened her eyes.

"Derek." Adele breathed out in horror at the sight of her fiancé frozen in the center of the hallway.

"Oh, God." the woman quickly shut her eyes again, fleeing to the side of the hallway in search of an escape.

_________

Adele laid low in the one of the classrooms when she picked up radio static and footprints.

"One in the head and one in the heart." Monroe's voice hit Adele's ears.

Panic swept Adele as she remembered her frozen fiancé in the hall just a few feet away from her.

"Copy." a man's voice then hit Adele's ears.

Adele knew the possibility that this was a trick of the Anuk-ite, but she needed to risk it.

"No!" Adele bolted out of the classroom, her eyes wide open.

Adele was too late and the gunshot went off, aimed directly for Derek's heart.

It was at that moment that the cement rippled off her fiancé's body, leading him to escape the bullet by a second.

Derek attacked the hunter, throwing him against the wall, leaving the gun astray.

A howl echoed through the halls, signaling the fight was over.

The man was knocked unconscious by Derek and Adele snapped back to reality.

"Derek." Adele spoke up, turning the man's attention to her.

"Adele." Derek breathed out in relief.