43

~ TRISTAN ~

I watched Hazel as she dressed up for work, speaking to someone over the phone. 

“Yes… no, not like that… yes… no… okay… you know what? Never mind, I’ll be there soon… bye.” She finally dropped the phone, pulling the zipper of her skirt up and tied her long dark brown hair into a ponytail. 

I resumed typing away on my laptop to finalize the work I had to do before leaving for the office. 

“Hey Tristan, I’m leaving now.” She announced and grabbed her bag. 

“Okay,” I replied, trying to hide my pain— the pain from missing her too much. 

She stared at me with squinted eyes and opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by a call from her phone once again. Checking the screen of her phone, she said a quick “goodbye” before heading out while speaking to whoever it was over the phone.

I let out a sigh and set my laptop aside, brushing my hair away from my face. 

I was so damn worried about my marriage with Hazel. Everything always seemed to be going well, but since she started working at the restaurant, she hardly ever had any time for me. I had always thought I was a busy working man, but Hazel was an advanced workaholic. I just hoped nothing goes wrong. 

*** 

Now that I was finally free from work, Hazel wasn’t around. She was still overly busy and hadn’t picked my calls. Worry was an understatement to what I was feeling at the moment.

 I felt incomplete without her. Though we still shared a bed, she or I either came back late and she’d either already be asleep or would just go straight to bed; no hugs, no kisses, nothing— maybe just a short kiss and a “goodnight”. It felt like we were far apart. 

“Hey dude.” Kye said, strolling into the room. 

“You’re here? What a pleasant surprise.” I didn’t mean to sound sarcastic, but I did. 

“Whoa, what’s wrong?” He pulled the vanity chair out and sat beside me. 

“Tristan! Kye, you’re here too?” Charlotte said, walking into the room as well and sat beside me on the sofa. “Where’s Hazel? I've been searching everywhere for her and the workers don't know either.” 

“That’s the problem. She's never around.” I frowned. 

“What’s wrong? Why?” Charlotte asked, furrowing her eyebrows in concern.

“Hazel is never around. Since she started working at her restaurant, she's always unavailable. She never pick my calls or respond to any of my texts.” 

“Really? Why?” Kye frowned. 

“I don’t know. She’s always working. Even when she returns home, she never has my time. Whenever I try to talk to her at night, I might be super excited to finally speak to her, until I realize she’s fast asleep or has slept off while I'm still speaking. Though I don't want to, I’m starting to regret the fact that I made her have the restaurant.”