32

Pacing around the room, I stopped to stare at Hazel on the bed, praying for her to open her eyes. 

There was a knock on the door then Kye and Charlotte started walking in, though I didn’t remember telling them to do so. 

Charlotte had a small basket in her hand which she dropped on the nightstand beside Hazel. 

“Hey, dude.” Kye said as he stopped beside me while Charlotte sat beside Hazel. 

“She still isn’t awake?” Charlotte asked rhetorically, staring at Hazel in worry; she started taking out plates from the basket.  

“Exactly!” I exclaimed. “And Nora has given her the last dose of the antidote, with full assurance that she was going to wake up soon. I’m really over-stressed, I haven’t had proper sleep, and—”

“You really need to get a good rest.” Kye interrupted me. “Why don’t you do something you love? Like going to work?”

“I can’t possibly be comfortable at work when I know she’s not fine. What if she wakes up and I’m not by her side?” That was a fear I had; I wanted to be the first person to see her open those beautiful eyes. 

Charlotte heaved a sigh, then approached me with a plate of food in her hands. “You really don’t have to stress yourself out. I’m certain you’ve not eaten, so I brought food for you.” 

“I'm not hungry.” I hadn’t felt the need to eat anything recently while my mind was clouded with Hazel's health and the mysterious call I had received from her phone. 

“Are you crazy, dude? Charlotte, in her state of pregnancy, decided to stress herself out by making a meal for you; you wouldn’t dare to not eat it.” He scolded with the 'you-have-no-other-option' tone. 

“Fine, fine.” I rolled my eyes and accepted the plate from Charlotte, causing her face to lighten up with a grin. 

“Gracias, my baby body.” She patted my head, earning a 'what-the-heck' look from me. “Face it. It’s the truth. Eres mi dulce bebé y mamá te ha preparado un delicioso desayuno español. ¡Disfrutar! (You're my sweet baby boy and Mama has made a lovely Spanish breakfast for you. Enjoy it!)” She giggled, slightly pinching my cheeks.

“After eating, we’ll force you to go out— at least a stroll.” Kye asserted, while I groaned, knowing fully well that they were determined, and were going to force me to do it, leaving me with no other option.

*** 

~ HAZEL ~

I opened my eyes in a squint, but immediately shut them from the extreme brightness surrounding me. After a moment of trying to blend in with the brightness, I finally re-opened my eyes. Everything felt new, different, strange, and ununderstandable. 

I gazed around for a while till my brain regained the capability to understand that I was in our bedroom.