2

"Are you out of your mind? How? Why? Are you crazy? What's going on? Who's that dude?" I frowned, confused— wait, was I supposed to be happy? I didn't know how to react to this. 

"Isn't it obvious? I'm in love with someone else, I love Ian." Indy admitted.

"Your marriage has been planned, how could you have fallen in love with someone else when you know you'll get married to Tristan?" I stood in akimbo. 

"We were children! We thought it’d be a great idea to get married to each other. I was only 7 and he was 10. How could our parents have taken our words so seriously?"

My forehead rumpled in perplexion. "This makes no sense to me. You love Tristan and he loves you, obviously."

"That was all in the past. Tristan and I were in love with each other but things have changed now. Don't you see how terrible he has become? I agree that I'm his best friend and we care about each other very much but we're simply friends. He suddenly changed from the sweet Tristan to a frigid devil. How am I supposed to deal with it? He's not the same Tristan."

“How can you just end it? You'll break his heart, Tristan clearly loves you, not me."

"I can't break a heart that isn't present." She frowned.

"And why don't you just tell your parents and Tristan?" 

“They clearly know about it, but Grandpa and Dad won’t let me be with the one I truly love simply because he’s poor and an enemy of the Ricardos.” She exhaled deeply, threading her fingers through her dark blonde hair and returned to sit on the bed. "I feel so terrible right now, I don't want to hurt Tristan at all.

“Hazel, as your best friend, I'm fully aware of your feelings towards Tristan and I know you truly love him, I can see it. You'll be perfect to get married to the devil, you might be able to restore his heart.” She raised her head to me with her eyebrows creased in worry.

"I can't just get married to him, it makes no sense. Of course I have feelings for him but this isn’t a joke I can just jump into." How on Earth did she know I had feelings for him?!

"Believe me when I say Tristan is also a very good person despite his cold side, he needs someone like you. Tristan has a lot of business deals linked to him getting married and if he doesn't, it'll lead to a huge loss for him, I also don't want that." She wrinkled her forehead.

I stood in place, sinking deep into my thoughts. Getting married to Tristan was going to be like a dream come true but how on Earth was I just going to jump into something like this? What was this? Some kind of romance novel or movie where things like these magically work out in the end?

I was in a terrible dilemma. My heart wanted this so badly but I needed to use my brain instead.

"You can think about it." She shrugged with a suppressed smile.

***