40

I wondered where on Earth Tristan had gone. He wasn’t in our bedroom, and neither was he in his office. 

Preparations for the restaurant and bakery had me all worked up and I didn’t have time to snuggle close to him. 

After a while, I finally found him in the second living room. He didn’t notice my presence as I entered because he was laying on the couch, holding a file to his face. 

I stealthily walked up to him and snatched the file from him. He frowned and wanted to yell, but smiled when he noticed it was me. 

“What if you had ripped it?” He laced his fingers behind his head. 

“I wouldn’t have.” I dropped the file on the table and laid on him, resting my head on his bare chest, with my legs between his.

“What’s with this clinginess?” he chuckled, wrapping his arms around my waist. 

“I missed you.” I hugged him and lifted my body to give him a kiss, pouting. 

“You’re such a big baby.” He was still smiling from ear to ear as he peered into my eyes. 

“That you love?” 

“Definitely.” He chuckled again.

I rested my head on his shoulder while he gently stroked my arm. 

“That explains why you were always so busy?” I asked. 

“The restaurant? Yes.” 

“Aw, thank you so much. I never imagined that this was going to be your surprise. I really appreciate it.”

“I’m glad you didn’t think of it. I've been working on it for a really long time. Remember when we first got married and I was mad that Tristan's wife was working at a small bakery?” He asked and I hummed in response. “Then you said how much you loved baking and cooking. Though I was still mad at you and was trying to hate you, I wanted to do it for you since you loved it.”

“Tristan,” I gazed at him again, “you’re so amazing. You’re the best husband I could’ve ever asked for.” 

“Of course. I mean, you’ve been in love with me since you were 19.” He teased, earning a smack on his shoulder from me. “Ouch! I’m sorry...” He laughed, wrapping his arms around my waist and planted a kiss on my forehead. 

We maintained silence for a while, just sinking into each other’s warmth while he traced circles on my waistline.

“I have to admit that I felt really bad when you left our date, but now I understand why.” 

“I'm so sorry. I just had to attend to it really quickly so I wasn't going to postpone it again. You must've been really mad when I didn’t return the time I had promised?”

“Oh, yes. More than mad. I had to rant about Indy… oh my gosh! Indy!” I rose to my feet, gazing at him with widened eyes. “How could I forget that?”

“What’s wrong with her?” He sat up straight.

“She was here. Oh you wouldn't believe it when I say she has gone totally insane.”

“I’d believe that—”

“She said she wants Tristan back.” 

“Tristan? Me? Ew.” He made no attempt to hide the disgust in his eyes. “What did you say to her?” He frowned. 

“I told her you weren’t some toy I could return just because she made me marry her supposed groom; she got really mad, then was on and on about how I’m such a betrayer, blah blah blah.”

“Is that woman even normal anymore? Doesn’t she realize how much she annoys me? How would she think you’ll just leave me to satisfy her greed?”

“I know right? I was very confused. It felt like a damn comedy to me.’”

“Listen Hazel,” he rose to his feet and cupped my face, “don’t you dare think of leaving me, especially not to satisfy Indy’s greedy wants,” he warned sweetly. 

“Are you kidding me?” I burst into laughter. “Don’t you realize that you're my only source of happiness? What on Earth am I without you?”

“Great! Because I don’t want stupid sacrifices all in the name of friendship. I love you.” He lowered his head to give me a peck on the lips. 

“I love you too.” 

*** 

~ TRISTAN ~

“Hey Rob. What’s it?” 

“Good evening, Mr. Hendrix. The principal has no idea of who Hazel Evan is.” 

“Really? Are you certain he's the same principal as her high school year?”

“No, he isn’t, but he has checked the school's file and couldn’t find anyone with that name during your wife’s high school period.”

“Oh… that’s strange.” 

“But I sent her pictures to him, if he might be able to find anything. 

“Uh… okay. Thanks.”

“By the way, your schedule for this week is even busier. Mr. Hernandez will be coming over from Spain to finalize the deal, as well as Mr. Rajeed Kumar with his team. I already fixed these meetings and your previous meetings to balance your schedule, so I'll send it to you.”

“Oh… so there wouldn’t be time to fix a date with my wife?”

“No. I really tried to, but it just couldn’t fit. I’ll make sure to fix it next week.”

“Shit…” I ran a hand through my face. “Okay, fine. Thank you, Rob. I really appreciate your hard work.”

“It’s my pleasure.” He sounded really excited to hear my appreciation— something I hardly ever did. 

I hung up on him with a sigh. Guess I had to continue spending time with Hazel today. 

I couldn’t believe she lied to me about her high school. I was going to wait for Rob’s second report before making a conclusion.