21

“Who is this?” I replied, extremely confused. 

“Is this Hazel?” 

“Who is this?” I repeated.

“Bye.” The call ended. 

‘Confused’ couldn’t express what I was feeling. Who the hell called someone just to say 'hi' and ‘bye'?

I tried calling again but the phone was switched off. 

I tried to recall if the voice sounded familiar for a few minutes, but it wasn’t. “It’s probably just a stupid prank call.” I shrugged, refilling the glass of orange juice I had placed on the table at the center of the three large grey sofas, opposite his main leather chairs behind the mahogany table.

Taking a gulp of the juice, the door was pushed open at the exact time my phone rang again. 

I answered the call grouchily, feeling frustrated by Tristan just returning after such a long time and the probability of it being another stupid prank call. “Hello?” 

“Hi, Hazel.” 

My frustrated expression transformed to a wide grin. “Is this who I think it is?” 

“Yes, it’s Indy. Please don’t say my name.” 

“Uh? Why?” I raised an eyebrow in confusion. 

“Is Tristan there with you?” 

“Yeah…he just walked in.” I glanced at Tristan who quirked an eyebrow at me then sat on the mahogany table with his legs crossed in front of him. 

“Okay, please don’t say my name.” 

“Did you try to call me a few seconds ago?” I asked. 

“No. Why?” 

“Oh…never mind. How are you?” I asked with a smile of relief. Heavens knew how much I missed her as my best friend.  

“I’m very fine.” Her voice was as cheerful as ever. 

“Where have you been?” I glanced at Tristan who had his arms folded across his chest and his enchanting electric blue eyes were fixed on me like I was a hard math question he wanted to find the answer to. 

“I’m very fine. You shouldn’t worry about me. I know I haven’t updated you about anything, but I was trying to fix everything in my life. Anyway, I’ll be returning soon.”

“Really?!”

“Yes, please don’t sound too excited, Tristan shouldn’t know. And please, don’t let anyone know I’m returning.”