Chapter 12: Exams

Today's the day for exams.

And I'm actually not as nervous as I thought I would be.

The kids were more excited than I was. They got me up, Lilia chose my clothes, Niko and Toshiro made me breakfast, and Kaz and Gina helped me with some notes for the written exam.

I couldn't help but feel like I was the kid and they were taking care of me.

*sniff*... they grew up so fast...

But it was so much easier to get ready this morning with their help. I feel refreshed and ready to do anything.

Their support is a big part of helping me stay calm, and I couldn't thank them enough.

"How are you getting there? Isn't it in an hour?" Toshiro asked as he looked at the clock, which said 7:36 a.m.

"Look at you. Acting all grown." I joked with a playful smile. He rolled his eyes at me. "Midnight is taking me, so don't worry."

I patted his head as I sat on the floor to put on my boots.

These aren't really what I normally wear, but I think they look cool.

Make me feel like I can kick some ass.

"I can't believe it..." Kaz spoke up as the kids all watched me tie my boot.

"What? That I know how to tie?" I stared up at him, offended.

"Yeah. You're the type to wear velcro shoes."

"Material girl." I put my fingers against my palm while leaning back.

Gina and Lilia laughed as the other three just stared with tired expressions.

I huffed at the unimpressed faces.

Tough crowd, tough crowd...

"What I meant was that you're actually trying to get into UA. I thought you said you weren't." He said as I put my other boot on.

"Well, the truth is that I always wanted to go there. Saving people is something I've wanted to do for a long time now. I want to do something with my quirk rather than getting a normal job where it goes unused. It's a career that I can use my quirk to help people in need of it. Going to UA is the first step to achieve that." I smiled at my boot, proud that I can tie shoes.

But honesty, I'm not my father's puppet anymore.

I'm not a killer anymore either.

I'm going to become a hero. It's the only thing I want to do.

And I know I can do it.

I will not let anyone tell me what I can or can't do. Not anymore.

"If you become a hero, that would be so cool!" Gina exclaimed as her eyes sparkled at the thought. Her hands together as she pictured whatever she was thinking about.

"You better get in." Niko crossed her arms as she stared.

I noticed an off look in her eyes. Her eyes having a sad, yet hopeful look in them.

This is another reason I want to get into UA.

I want them to know they have a chance to do whatever they want... even if we're all orphans.

"I'll get in." I told them with a cocky grin. "But you'll miss me a lot when I have to be in school longer, since training takes a long time."

"We don't care about that. We just want you to be happy." Toshiro spoke up for all of them.