Chapter 10: Texting

"Is this necessary...?"

"Yes, it is. I want to see your full capabilities. I went back and read your report." Midnight nodded, sitting on the side of the platform on a bench. "It said that you had were good at martial arts, so I wanted to see for myself."

I was wearing some grey sweatpants, a white crop top with a black sports bra underneath, and black socks.

I was also wearing my mask.

I have to start wearing it again while training. To get used of it.

In front of me was someone I didn't recognize. They were wearing a white karate suit with a black belt.

He looked to be in his early or mid 30s. He had a fit and muscular build, like he has been lifting all his life. His long brown hair tied back. A short beard covered half his face.

He has a strong presence that's making me nervous, not gonna lie.

"This is Leo. He owes me a favour and has agreed to help me out." The raven haired woman gestured to the muscle man. She then turned to Leo. "This is Athena, the one you'll be testing."

I glared through my mask at the woman, not wanting to be here.

Leo laughed, which gained my attention. He waved whilst sending me a warm smile. "Don't look so nervous. It's nice to meet you, Athena-san."

So he's the 'don't judge a book by its cover' type...

I bowed and greeted him back. "Nice to me you too. So, I'm just here to show you my hand-to-hand skills, then I can go back home and study?"

Midnight grinned at me, nodding. "Yep! And it's good to know you're studying too, by the way. The entrance exams are pretty hard if you don't."

Leo nodded as well, sending me a thumbs up and an agreeing nod.

I rubbed the back of my neck while letting out a sigh.

This will be good practice for me. I haven't fought anyone like this in a long time.

Let's hope I'm not too rusty.

Stretching my arms, I looked over to the man I was meant to spare.

"Leo is a black belt in karate, as well has a national champion in Muay Thai and Jujustu." I couldn't help but feel excited as she said that.

So he's good...

Leo started stretching as well.

I've experienced jujutsu before, especially because of Ace, who is a specialist at it as well as this guy.

I felt myself grin, my nerves having calmed down at this point.

"I'm not sure just how high your skills are, so I called someone who could tell me from a professional perceptive, if that's alright?" Midnight now asked for my opinion.

"He's already here, so even if I wasn't okay with it, I can't say any thing at this point." I looked over to her making her smile sheepishly.

"But I haven't had a decent spare in a while. So I'm kinda excited for this." I told while winding up my arm, holding my shoulder for support.

"You're quite confident." Leo observed as we finished stretching. "I hope you're just as good as Midnight says you are."

I smirked under my mask. "I hope you are as well."

He chuckled.

We both stepped onto the mat.

"Okay! Please don't get hurt too bad!" Midnight yelled from the side, her hands together pleading us. "I don't want to get in trouble for putting a minor in danger."