#102, Goa

It's so terrifying to think that all it takes is a minute to lose someone for a lifetime. And, then, all you have left is memories.

It's early in the morning, the sun is shining bright, and the balcony overlooks a serene view of the majestic arabian sea. Mrs. Devika, is pulling the curtains, to let the cool breeze envelop her home. She sits, by the balcony, sipping coffee, and reading the headlines of the latest edition of  Hindustan Times. Soon enough, she decides to put down the paper, as it is filled with the mundane of everyday petty crimes and scandals, and she does not want the perfect view to be ruined by the sad news. 

As she sips the last of the coffee, a sleepy nupur, walks next to her, still yawning, trying to adjust her eyes to the brightness. She smiles at her mother, who smiles back. 

"Good morning, nupur", Mrs. Devika speaks

"Good morning, mama", Nupur yawns

"When did you come back last night?"

"Maa, it must have been close to 2 am, the roads were still buzzing with tourists, so it didn't feel scary"', she responds

"Beta, ask them for a morning shift, will you? It's been almost a month since you have been working this evening shift.", Mrs. Devika sounds concerned

"Yes maa, but they have already mentioned that in my contract, I can't ask them to change it, anyway it is only for 5 more months, and then I can peacefully, switch to another firm", Nupur responds, still sounding sleepy.

"Did your dad call you?", Mrs. Devika looks at nupur, hoping to hear the good news.

"Um, No maa. He will call soon, don't you worry!", Nupur tries to uplift her mother's mood.

"But, beta ---"

"Maa, remember what we discussed, we won't think about anything negative in this house?", nupur reminds her mother, and Mrs. Devika nods slowly. 

"Did you call udita or Akash anytime soon?", Mrs. Devika asks 

"Yes, in fact, Akash called me yesterday at work, he was asking when would it be okay to visit us", nupur responds

"I don't want the boy visiting us"

"Maa, I know it was his fault, but I think --"

"No nupur, we are not discussing it, please"

"But maa ---"

"I have never stopped you from talking to them, but, I don't think I am ready to forgive them or myself", Mrs. Devika starts to tear up

"Maa, Mishka was reckless, she was stupid to do whatever she did, and we have talked about this multiple times, it was an important lesson, and we are working towards trying to undo the harm"

"There is no going back nupur, so much harm has been done now"

"No maa, this is not the end, it can't be, okay?"

"I hope I could be as positive as you"

"You have to be, that's only how to move on"

"Beta, was I a really bad mother?", Mrs. devika wipes her tears

"No maa, never. I knew your intentions were always just right. All you ever wanted was good for mish, yes, Getting her engaged was a blunder, and so was bringing her away from the only family she knew, her friends. But, it's all in the past. Maa, please forgive akash, we need him, she needs him."

"She is stubborn, so stubborn, nupur, its been almost 3 months now. Why won't she wake up now."

"She will maa, she will. Its mishka, my stubborn but strong sister, your strong mishu maa. Doctors said na, that its only matter of time, she will be wake up", nupur consoles her mother.

Suddenly the door rings, and its Mr. Arjun on the door, mishka's doctor. Mishka suffered multiple organ failure and was unable to handle the aftermath of her cardiac arrest. Her chances of survival seemed slim to none. It was after much deliberation, and tons of paper works, and consent of her parents, that mishka was put under an induced coma to let her body recuperate and heal. Shutting down function can give the brain time to heal without the body performing radical triage by shutting off blood flow to damaged sectionsInitially, the plan was to only put her in an induced coma for a week, unfortunately, a day before the process, her blood pressure plummeted, forcing doctors to make a decision, rarely taken in medical history, wait for more than a month. 

The longest anyone has ever been in an induced coma, was six months, and so the closer it came to the ticking time, the scarier her chances of survival seemed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Akash's POV

It's been almost an eternity of misery, or at least that is what it feels like. The last I heard about Mishka from her family was through nupur. Nupur has been constantly letting us know of her medical prognosis, and every day feels like a lost battle. 

Udita has shut herself off from everyone, and she rarely meets anyone. Gauri, like the amazing person she is, is trying to take care of us all. She still blames herself for everything that happened, despite, the reason for it all being me, solely me. 

Every day, and each night, I am paranoid about the thought of losing mishka, and having to live with the guilt of causing the pain. I wish, I had died. No more problems for anyone. 

Divya, my sister, brings me coffee, breaking my chain of self loathing. She looks at me, and immediately recognizing the pattern. 

"Stop it, will you?", she scolds me

"Can't help it div", I respond

"Did you ask nupur  about visiting mishka?"

"yes"

"and?"

"Nupur said she will let me know"

"That's good, bhai"

"No div, Mrs. Devika hates me, she won't let me close to her daughter, ever"

"She knows, Mishka loves you, if not for anyone, at least for Mishka's sake she will let you meet", divya consoles her brother

"Do I even deserve her love?"

"Yes, you do. You did a wrong thing, but, your feeling took better of you. You are a human after all, not a saint, or a hero of any film. You are allowed to make mistakes, you are allowed to fall, and you are allowed to learn from your mistakes. Stop this self-loathing, it does not suit you. Do what you do best bhai, be there for people. Nupur needs you, udita needs you, and mishka needs you. Despite everything, God gave us all a chance, mishka was revived and we all thought she won't survive, but she did"

"She ended up in coma, div"

"Induced coma, and she is doing good right?"

"I am not sure, div"

"Bhai, didn't you say, nupur mentioned that mishka might be hooked off the drugs, in the next two weeks"

"If everything is normal"

"It will be"

"No div, I don't want to live on any hope"

"Bhai, hope is how you move forward", divya smiles at akash, who nods back slowly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys!

Hope you like the chapter

Please let me know if you guys liked it so far?

Love-

Ziva