22

Mishka's POV

"Akaash, I need to tell you, a big secret of my life", I struggle to speak

"Mishka, are you alright?", Akash asks me, concerned, his eyes on me, as if he is expecting something terrible.

But, then I see her, walking down the stairs, clad with makeup, her eyes resonating everything mine didn't, she looks happy and content with her life. And there he is, smiling happily, those gleaming little eyes, it stores all of childhood, something he might never know. My heart beats too fast, I try hard not to react, or worse cry. I have imagined, re-imagined this scene so many times in my head, it feels still so alien to me. It's home too familiar, yet so distant. 

"Mishka?", asks places his hand on my shoulder still looking really concerned. 

I could not let my guards down this way, I am too vulnerable right now. He seems like he could handle this secret, but, I don't think I have the courage to say it loud enough.

"Akash, I just had to tell you that udita is more than a sister to me, and for the first time, it feels she made the right choice. I might not look like someone who cares about people, but she is everything I ever had. Don't ever break her heart", I reply wiping my tears

"But you said you were going to -"

"Akash bhaiya! Meet my mom!", vihang interrupts Akash, and for the first time, I get to have a close look at her after so long. 

At that moment, I feel so homesick, it slowly makes me want to through up. My knees go weak, as she looks at me, I have never wanted someone to say my name so bad. What if she recognizes me? I don't think I have wanted and not wanted something so bad.

"Hello Akash, glad you could make it, and who are you darling?", she looks at me, and I could feel my fingers going numb.

"She is Mishka di", vihaang replies, smiling

All of a sudden, her eyes dilate, she looks at me the way I wanted her to. I hate her so much, my she was the home I always wanted. She took it away from me, everything, piece by piece, all at once. I won't ever let her know, that she still has an opportunity to fix this, to fix us. 

" Your name reminds me of someone really special", she replies

" Oh-oh, gre-at", I stutter

"Enjoy the party, and let me know if you needed anything", she places her hand on my shoulder

I wanted this moment to pause, to freeze for a little while longer. I wanted her to kiss my forehead, and see with the same way, she looks at vihaang. I wanted her to listen to my heartbeat, which speaks of pain, longingness, and melancholy. Just once, I wanted to call her mom. 

"Mishka, you wanted to something else, didn't you?", Akash asks looking directly into my eyes

"Do you think, we could go somewhere and have a drink?", I ask him and he smiles

................................................................................................................................................................

Akash's POV

It's late-night and we are on the highway, she looks stunning in that red dress, that barely reaches her knee. Her mascara is a little messed her, and her hair, all over the place. She is leaning by my bike, and looking at traffic while I am standing on the other side of the road, purchasing beer for this little brait. 

I am trying so hard, to not look at her. But, how can I not? She is everything, I never wanted. Yet, every time I look at her, I am caught up in the moment, admiring her. Shit! I fucking love her.

"Here is your beer, and here are those extra beer cans you asked for", I reply and she smiles, revealing that dimpled smile. THAT DAMNED SMILE.

"Akash, I have an idea, there is this place, like 20 mins away, a little isolated but it has that hillside city view", she speaks excitedly

"Aye Aye Captain", I nod

................................................................................................................................................................

The evening was everything that perfect evening would look like

The evening was everything that perfect evening would look like. Those dim city lights in the middle of the night, serene view, and the city resonated vulnerability, it spoke of stories that we don't pay attention to. 

"And, so even though my family is very close-knit, and my mom tried her best to not let me go to Pune, I finally came", Akash holds back his tears. 

"It's beautiful, to know you are so close to your family, yours sounds like those picture-perfect family", Mishka smiles

"what about you?", Akash asks and Mishka tries not to make an eye contact

"I will tell you if you drink"

"okay"

"Why do you wanna know about me so bad?", Mishka asks, baffled. This concern made her uncomfortable, she was always so used to be surrounded by people who were so unbothered about her life, this seemed new and uncomfortable

Akash takes a beer can and slowly takes two small sips of the beer while making no eye contact. Mishka is taken aback, for she knew, Akash actually cared enough to break his promise to his mom, just so she can open up. He still was willing to know, what made her so restless earlier. 

"It tastes disgusting", Akash murmurs, while Mishka laughs

"Yes, but you will get used to it"

"yes, and I kept my promise, now speak"

"Okay, but you promise me this stays between us?"

"Promise"

Mishka talks about her childhood, and how she had to go through the terrible custody case. She stops now and then, to catch some breathe, wiping her tears, and failing so terribly, to maintain poise. She was a true mess, but with every sentence, she felt lighter, and to felt like a burden being uplifted. She still chooses to conceal names. She needs more assurance before she could let Akash know.

" Who is brother? Do you know where he lives":, Akash asks, his eyes are numb

"I don't ", Mishka blurts out a cold lie

Akash looks right into Mishka's eyes, it was unsettling. Something it felt like he could look right into her soul, read her lies. At times, it felt like he was the only one who she could trust. Akash hugs Mishka, his hands patting her head, till she stopped crying. Akash then offers her a drink, and she lets out a short laugh. she gulps the entire beer can, in a matter of few minutes.

"Try not to kill yourself", Akash speaks sarcastically, and Mishka looks right into his eyes. As she smiles, you could see those beautiful dimpled cheeks. She was every bit of a dream. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry for not writing for so long!

But I love this story so much, I was afraid I would mess it up.

Hope you guys are still willing to stick by.

- Love, Ziva