Little Mishu

Mishka...mishka...mish..the screamed were slowly faded, and the silence took over. The world felt silent, enveloped by blackness, it felt peaceful.

The hospital room was nothing less of horror,   all the words that someone won't want to hear in their lifetime was spoken that day.

Flashback to 19 years back

Among the quietness of the hilltop, was a beautiful home, surrounded by lavish greeness. Mr and Mrs. Ahuwalias were sipping tea, looking at their 5 years old mishu running around the backyard, playing with her dog kitkat. The child like innocence of her smile, and the joy in her heart was enough to melt anyone' heart.

"Mishu..beta, come here", her mom extends her arms but mishka was too busy stealing cookies from kitkat's mouth.
Her mischevious smile, as she successfully steals the cookies only to throw it onto the ground made the kitkat growl with dissapointed.

Mrs. Devika, laughs at her daughter's acts. Whatever, little mishu did, she was able to melt people through her smile.

"Mishu..come back here, won't you give dada a peck on his cheeks?", her dad asks and mishu rans towards her dad.
She was his dotting daughter. First borns are epitome of love, as they bring so many joys in so many lives. Being called dada and maa for the first, first hug, first injury, first prank. A rollercoster of emotions.

As mishu gives a peck to her dad, she sees her  mom's sad face and rans into her arms. The ahuwalias laugh at her love.

At night, post dinner, as mishu is lying on her mother's lap her curious wanders off to most random questions. She is always so eager to know things.

"Maa...why is kitkat not speaking to me still?", she looks sad.

"Beta, kitkat is a dog, dogs can't speak like us", she is slowly carassing her face.

"Maa...why is my birthday not today?"

"Mishu...you were only born once"

"But maa..."

"Mishu....sleeep", Mrs. Devika slowly pats her head.

"Maa...I am hungry"

"Mishu...you had dinner just 20 mins back"

"Maa..."

"Mishu! Sleeep beta, its so late. Good girls don't stay awake this late", she scolds mishka.
Mishu looks away in sadness. Her eyes slowly  resonating dissapointment. How do you stay full for 20 mins ?

Mrs. Devika, smiles at the little frown of hers. But, she could not take her little face looking this sad. Mishka just always had this charm around people, she could convince them to do anything.

"Mishu...beta, you should not sleep angry,,"

"I am not talking to you mommy"

"Mishu..."

"Mishu..."

Mrs. Devika, peeps into her husband's room who is still working on his important presentations. He looks really involved and stressed. There was no way he would be willing to take them somewhere this late at night. He had a bad temper, and Mrs. Devika wanted to always shield her daughter from any and everything negative.

"Mishu...I have a plan to solve your hunger problem", she responds, and immediately mishka's face lits up with happiness.

"What mommy?"

"First give mom a kiss"
Mishka immediately gets up from her bed and  leans to kiss her mother a kiss on her cheeks. Mrs. Devika, hugs her tightly and then starts tickling mishka till she collapses on the bed, not able to control her laughs. The house is filled with laughter echoing.

"Maa..what are you cooking for me?", mishka asks curiously.

"Not cooking beta, we are doing out", Mrs.devika whispers and mishka does a little happy dance.

"Where maaaa!", she squeals with happiness.

"Shh..don't tell dada", she calms her down

"Where maa", mishka whispers back

"Ice cream!", her mother responds, and mishka just cannot contain her excitement.
When you are younger, smallest of events, fills your heart with joy. Your mind is calm, and peaceful and your heart content. When smallest of joys makes you like you are on the top of the ferris wheel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current day

The monitor starts beeping loudly and the nurses come running to the hospital room. Udita and akash are shaking with fear, as the events unfolding before their eyes are something you wont wish upon your enemies.

The nurse, requests them to leave the room, but they are determined to stay beside mishka. Its only when the doctor requests them, they walk outside the door, still looking at the horrific scene right before their eyes.

Mishka is lying on the bed unconsious, and she hooked onto scary looking machines, wires and tubes running all around her hand and face. Her heart beat paces, and before anyone could be alerted, she does into a cardiac arrest.

As udita and akash, walk outside, both start crying inconsolably.
Nurses and doctors comming out of the room are using terrifying words...CPR...cardiac arrest...coma.

No one is willing to explain them what is wrong, the fear of the unknown is so unrestling.

"Nurse, what is wrong", akash hyperventilates at this point

"Sir, patient is going under cardiac arrest", she walks away from akash, running into another room.

4 hours later

Mishka's mother along with nupur run towards the OT. The floor feels so eerie, scary and overwhelming.
They soon enough, spot udita and akash sitting in a corner, looking at the floor, they are motionless, as if someone took their soul away.

"Udita, how is mishka", Mrs. Devika is crying , unable to catch her breath from the running and overwhelmness.

All udita could do was, look at Mrs. Devika as not words were making their way out of her mouth. All she could do was cry and hold aunty's hand who stumbles on the floor, devastated and heartbroken.

Each minute feels so long, and the occasional exiting of nurses from OT, raises their beartbeak.

Finally after what seemed and felt like an eternity, doctors come out of the OT. As they walk towards them, everyone is trying to read their expressions. The suspense of how mishka is doing is killing them every second.

Doctor verma, walks towards them. Despite his neutral expression, you could see the fear in his eyes

"How is she?", akash enquires.

"Lets just say, we lost her today and we have revive her heart. The drugs she took was of a really high dosage. But, as the patient was bought in late, her body incurred significant damage. Despite doing CPR on her, we are sure if she is okay.
The next 48 hours are very crucial", he utters the words and it feels the ground underneath their feets had collapsed. The fact they did infact lose mishka today, shook them.

"If not...if she....does not wake up then,?", Mrs. Devika asks

"If not Ma'am, she might go into coma and their is also a good possiblity of her not making it to next day", doctor responds.

~••••••○○○○○

Hey guyss!

Hope you like the chapter!

Love-
Ziva