Kris x Mermaid!Male!Reader

"They'll eat you for dinner."

"Haven't you heard the legends?"

"There are BEATS up there, not friends."

"Don't say I didn't want you."

Those were the 4 things your mom would always say to you whenever you mentioned the surface to her, and you hated her for that. Your mom was very overprotective of you and you only got to leave the house when she said you could and only be friends with certain people, which in turn caused you to get bullied, more than you already were.

Why were you getting bullied? Because of your black and white scales that no one else had, you also had glowing blood orange eyes which made you stand out even more. You got called a "Freak of the ocean" and "Demon of the sea", which hurt you the first couple of times you heard them, but you soon got used to the nicknames as more and more people kept calling you those names, even some of the teachers.

The teachers... the teachers... You HATED the teachers, why? Because whenever you would ask for help, no matter what it was, they would ignore you and shout at you for not paying attention or asking questions, like it was some sort of sin to ask for help.

But today was the day you had enough.

....................................

You had just got home from school (hooray!) and immediately went to your room while ignoring your mom who was reading the waterproof newspaper on the waterproof sofa. And when you got into your room went over to your bed and pulled out a backpack that had water, special scale cream that would stop them from drying up when exposed to air, some money you knew was valid on the surface after doing some research, and many other helpful things.

"Sweetie? Is everything alright? You just ignored me."

Y/n: Yeah, i'm fine mom.

"Hmm, alright, but tell me if anything's wrong, i'm your mother, I know what's best for you."

Y/n: Mhm.

"Do you want to make your own dinner?"

Y/n: Yeah.

"Alright, i'll leave you to it."

Your mom walked? Swam? Whatever! She... went away from the door and you let out a quiet sigh before writing your mom a note with tears pouring down your face. When the note was finished, it read "Mom, i'm afraid I have to leave... you've been too overprotective of me and I would like to see somewhere else other than this room and school, which I get bullied at. And don't worry, i'm not going to the surface. You've already told me not to go a million times and I guess I should still listen to you. I love you mom, but i'm sorry."

And with that, you took your backpack out from your bed, opened the window and before thinking about if this was the right choice for a solid minute, you swam out of the window while also swimming away from something you could never return to.

You swam and swam, and eventually, you hit the surface. You put your head above the water and saw the sun setting over the horizon, and you were just mesmerised by it's golden glow over the rest of the ocean in front of you. But a minute later you felt something hard and small land on your head causing you to immediately turn around quickly while rubbing your head.

You saw a human at the beach that was a couple feet away from you, and they just waved at you which made you go backwards a bit with your eyes widening. You and the human just stared at each other until a minute later they seemed to be walking closer to the water and taking their shoes off. You quickly realised what was happening and quickly went under water to break the connection between you two.