Episode 17 "The Boy in the Shroud" Part 1

Start from the beginning

We then walked to Angie's office as she starts going on the computer as she says, "I'm running our facial reconstruction through the Center for Missing and Exploited Person database." Cam then says, "That's a lot of missing and exploited kids." I add, "These are just locals." Booth then says, "Let's hope we don't have to go national." Cam then says, "Narrow the search to street kids in the foster system." Temp and I look at her as I ask, "Why?" "Because statistically, that's where this boy comes from." Temp adds, "It's far too early to start narrowing our focus." "Runaways, street kids, foster system." 

Temp then says, "Dr. Saroyan's the boss." "I've autopsied a lot of dead kids. Car accidents, drug overdoses, drownings. Fine. it's a broad search. Kid in a dumpster, it's a runaway, street kid or foster system." I keep myself calm as Booth says, "Cam's right..." I pinched him a bit as he looks down at me as I stand there with a smile. Angie then got something, "Got it. Dylan Krane, 17." Cam then says, "This is why I was appointed this job, Dr. Brennan, Venus. To streamline the process." Temp looks at me as if saying that I could say something since I am the Boss of her. I just give Temp a look as well saying, it wasn't time yet and I was having a bit of fun with her not knowing still.

Angie then says, "Honor student from a nice neighborhood in Alexandria." I smile as Temp says, "Oops." Angie continues, "He disappeared three weeks ago with his girlfriend Kelly Morris, who is in the foster system." Cam smiles as she says, "Good. There we go. I guess your first move is to find Kelly Morris." I shake my head, "Nope, the first move is to inform the family that we found their son." Booth nods as gather the parents' information and hand it over to Booth.

We are up on the second floor sitting around the conference table with the parents Mr. and Mrs. Krane. Mr. Krane speaks first, "We don't need to identify him? To-to make sure, I mean." Mrs. Krane continues, "I need to see my son. You understand?" Booth then speaks, Mr. and Mrs. Krane, I realize this is very hard, but the reason why we asked you to come to the Jeffersonian-" Temp takes over, "We are forensic anthropologist." Mr. Krane then says, "What? I don't understand the significance of that." "We are called in when a victim is too decomposed... to identify." Mrs. Krane then says, "Oh, God." 

I add, "We were able to identify Dylan beyond the shadow of a doubt. We're sorry." "That's Dylan." The father asks, "How did he die?" Temp answers, "He fell from a height of approximately 50 feet." "Suicide?" Booth asks, "Is there any reason to believe your son was despondent?" "Dylan? No. He was a smart, happy kid." "Problems at school? You know, uh... spending too much time on the Internet? Anything like that?" "His whole life centered around this girl that he was seeing." "Was this Kelly Morris?" "Yes. I suppose you read the missing person's report." The father adds, "So, you know Kelly's in a foster situation?" 

Temp asks, "Have you seen her since Dylan disappeared?" "No. To be honest, we were hoping they ran away together." Booth asks, "Why would they do that?" The father answered, "We told Dylan to stop seeing her." Temp asks, "Why?" The mother answered, "Dylan meet her at Harper Plaza where the street kids hang out." The father added, "Dylan was getting ready to go to M.I.T. She's already dropped out of high school. The life we provided him- it didn't prepare him for a girl like Kelly." I stayed calm but Temp couldn't take it as she asks, "You mean a foster child?" Booth and I look at her as he says, "Bones." The mother then says, "Whatever happened to my son, it happened because of Kelly." Booth then says, "We're gonna find her and we're gonna talk to her." The father then says, "Dr. Brennan, I can see that you think that we're being hard on Kelly. But my son- my son was a good kid with his whole life ahead of him." I then speak, "Yes we understand that Mr. Krane. But we all get sensitive when it involves with children. It takes a toll on every one of us."

We are in the car as we are all quiet and Temp is looking out of the window and I am looking at my lap. Booth then says, "Kelly Morris' foster mother is gonna meet us in my office." We both nod. "She says Kelly took off a couple weeks ago with, uh, most of her belongings." He looks at us and asks, "You okay, Bones, Blueberry?" Temp begins, "We were foster children." "Yeah, I know." "Do people always assume the worst of us?" "You know, I know that you hate psychology, but those people- they just lost their son. They need to blame someone." I nod and added, "We know... But it still hurts knowing people still think that foster children are no good people..." We all sigh and ride in silence.