Chapter 24: Light of His Life

They couldn't find anything else other than what Odin spotted. They spent the rest of the morning searching through the small area and adventuring farther to the border of the territory. His whole being wanted to keep on searching for his brother, but it was a fleeting idea. Because if he did that, then he would risk the rath of Everett's mother.

"Is he coming home?" Genie mind linked with him. "Is he okay? Did you guys eat?"

"Yes, yes and yes," Rhett rolled his eyes. "I'm bringing everyone home now."

At least his nephew was having fun on this adventure. Rhett was proud of the little guy. He was an adventurer just like his father. It really seemed like he was a natural in those trees. He didn't want to go back home either. But he could use his age as an excuse to throw a fit. Rhett couldn't.

Sebastian was good at keeping Everett calm at least. That helped keep his ears from bleeding on the way home. Odin was a little slower than him, although he was pretty fast for a werebear. They kept the same pace this time, though, because Rhett was weighed down just a little bit. He still hoped that he could catch onto some kind of scent that would lead to another clue. They got home faster than he wished to. And the worried mother was waiting right out front of the pack house, arms out and waiting to be filled with the small bundle of joy that was scrambling in Sebastian's hold.

"See?" he hopped off from Rhett like it was nothing, floating to the ground and handing her the child. "I told you he'd be alright. Just another young explorer out on an adventure, with plenty of people to protect him."

"Are you okay, baby?" she hugged her son. Rhett would have thought her to be dramatic, holding onto the boy like she hadn't seen him in months. But she had a right to be considering the dangers that now lurked in the trees and beyond. So, he held back his mild annoyances and grumbled complaints and went somewhere to change forms.

"Yeah," Everett said, excitement in his voice. "I wanna go back there and look for Daddy!"

"Adventures are best done with breaks in between," Sebastian's voice lingered through the trees. Rhett swore that this forest liked the man too. If trees had emotions, he bet they wouldn't like the idea of him leaving either. But an army couldn't convince this man to stay, not unless Rhett could somehow convince hid parents, which he had yet to bother Sebastian about.

There were too many things on his mind. Sometimes he just didn't know what to prioritize and what not to.

Rhett listened as the conversation continued, changing behind some trees and bushes that hid him from the pack house. Noah had already set up an area that had clothes ready for him, cleaner than the ones that he had brought on their journey. As long as he could hear the rest of the people he loved enjoying themselves, he didn't feel like he had to be on the alert. He was going to tell Odin to do the same thing, but the werebear knew the drill by then and was already changing in his own hiding spot.

When he came out from hiding, he saw Sebastian giving a grand story to the rest who had come out to greet them. All of them loved Sebastian so much. He was a very likeable person, especially when the parents watched him around children. Sebastian was the only one who could get some of these kids to sit still through a story of his. Sometimes, he would dance with them, just to get them to get out some extra energy. It had been nice to watch him with the pack the days that he spent with them.

That's what a Luna should be like. Genie was already the Luna of the pack, and they didn't need two of them, not even with Rhett being the second Alpha. But Sebastian was fit for it, if need be. He showed strength, and courage. He had precise hands, eager to get into a duel, yet they could be just as gentle and trusting as they could be quick. He brought up all of their spirits, when Rhett didn't think they had any left.