6| Boys II Mensa

En başından başla

Before either one of them could say anything else, Cory walked out of detention. He smiled when he noticed Shawn and Zoey.

"You two waited for me?" He asked, smiling wide.

"Are we not your best friends?" Shawn questioned, raising his arms slightly.

"You two got detention, didn't you?" Cory said.

Zoey nodded. "Oh, yeah. Mrs. Engles nailed Shawn."

Cory narrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "How did you two get detention in art?"

"Ah, that what makes me one of the greats." Shawn responded as he threw his drink into the janitors bin.

"And you, Zoey?" Cory wondered.

"Oh, you know... Mark called me ugly, and I just simply threw a couple of paint cans at him." She simply explained with a proud smile across her lips.

"Hey, check this out." Shawn said, reaching inside the bin and grabbed out a piece paper. "Check this out. Answers to a test."

"Shawn, Zoey." Cory began. The janitor came back, and the three of them walked past him, acting normal. "We can't be looking at test answers. That's major cheating. Detention for life."

Shawn examined the paper. "No, these aren't for a real test. They're for that stupid IQ exam we're taking tomorrow."

Shawn then scrunched the test paper into a ball and threw it towards the bin, but before it could go in, Cory caught it.

"Wait a minute. Let me take a look at this." Cory said, unfolding the test paper and examined it. "Wow. The person who knows these answers get the perfect score."

"On a test that doesn't even count for a grade." Zoey pointed out. "Why bother?"

"Are you kidding?" Cory questioned, looking at Zoey like she was stupid. "This is my one ticket to get Feeny off my back. If Feeny thinks I'm a genius... he'll treat me just as good as he treats Minkus.

"Hey, Cory, do yourself a favor. Crumple the paper up, throw it away in the trash. Don't complicate your life." Shawn told him.

Cory sighed and folded the paper. "You know, that makes a lot of sense and if I was a smarter person, I'd probably listen to you... except I'm not a smarter person... but tomorrow, I'm going to be a genius."

Cory smiled brightly. Both Shawn and Zoey scoffed before the three of them walked out of school.

••••

At school, everyone in the classroom were all sitting in their spots, waiting for Mr. Feeny to give them their grades. They took the test a couple of days ago. Zoey leg shook under her desk, she was nervous. She wanted a good grade so her mother could be proud of her.

"I have in my hands the results of Tuesday's IQ test... and one person here deserves special mention." Mr. Feeny said to the class. Shawn, Cory and Zoey all smirked. "This person achieved not only the highest score in the class...not only the highest score in the school... but a score so high as to give rise to the question... 'Is there, in fact, a ceiling on human intelligence'?"

"Please, Mr. Feeny, you're embarrassing me." Minkus said, flattered.

"Mr. Minkus, you came in second." Mr. Feeny informed him.

Minkus' face fell.  "Second?"

"Uh-huh." Mr. Feeny responded.

"As in the context of not first?" Minkus asked, his facial expression shocked. "Someone scored higher than I did on the IQ test?"