19: guilt

N I N E T E E N

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

Jakob's POV

I closed the door behind me, taking off Prince's leash and letting him walk into the house.

I rubbed at my chest, my heart physically aching at the look on her face.

I dug my nails into my palms, trying to stop myself from running off after the car.

Focus.

I motioned with two fingers at Prince, and he followed behind me as I walked up the stairs to my room.

Taking out a duffle bag, I threw it onto the bed, pulling out a few items of clothing and shoving them inside.

I paused for a second before I grabbed two extra sweatshirts.

The safe houses were always cold, and I hadn't given her enough time to pack.

Eliana.

My stomach flipped again, the uneasy feeling back.

I should be with her.

I glanced at Prince; he stared out of the window, looking at the driveway.

I knew he was looking for her.

"Prince."

He gave a low woof, turning to face me, "We're going to see her soon."

He barked as though he understood and I walked to my bathroom to grab a few things before zipping the bag up.

Walking back downstairs, I made sure all my windows and doors were locked. They were on an automated system, but it made me feel better to check them by hand.

I walked around the house, making sure I had everything I needed before I finally sat down on a barstool in the kitchen.

My leg bounced up and down, my whole body wound so tightly, I felt as though I was a ticking time bomb.

I should've gone with her.

As though he could read my mind, Adler's name flashed on the screen of my phone.

I clenched my jaw, picking up the call.

"Hey Jake, she gone?"

I breathed in through my nose, trying to keep my composure.

"Yes. Zion just left."

He hummed in acknowledgement, "We'll meet at the offices to get suited up. Adrik will meet us there."

I tried to keep my intuition from rearing its head in my mind.

"I..." I swallowed, my grip on the counter making my knuckles turn white.

"Jakob? You what?" Adler asked.

I paused, trying to garner control, "This isn't right. I should be with her."

Adler sighed, "Look, it's better this way. You can go keep her safe after we take out Donovan."

I bit down a response and grunted in acknowledgment, hanging up the call.

I didn't have a moment to think before my phone rang again.

Adrik.

I picked up the call, and he skipped the pleasantries.