3| Not That Desperate

"Happy birthday mama!" I pulled Magnolia into a tight hug

She smelled of liquor and cigarettes.

My eyes circled the living room. It appeared as if everyone was having a grand old time. It is Magnolia's fiftieth birthday and in true Magnolia form, the day would not end without a block party.

The house was jam-packed with all of her friends and family. I was beginning to have a great time until I spotted Magnolia's miserable sister Berta. She had on one of her worn-out wigs. I could have went over to her to say hi but I decided not to. She stood in the corner doing what she does best which is passing judgment and being miserable.

Berta has never been kind to me. I don't know why. She was very vocal in her disapproval of Magnolia adopting me.

"My baby!" Magnolia screamed happily.

She was a little buzzed for sure.

"How have you been? I feel like I have not seen you in so long."

I rolled my eyes at her exaggeration. It has only been a few days since I last saw Magnolia. I suppose we are just so used to seeing each other every day.

"I'm good. Just working a lot." I answered.

Magnolia placed her hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eyes.

"I have something very important to talk to you about," Magnolia said grabbing at my hand and squeezing it tightly.

She had a serious expression on her face that made my nerves rattle in fear. I did not like the feeling.

"What is it, mom?" I asked as my heart began beating out of my chest.

I know my mom very well. She is about to drop a bomb on me. I'm not sure if I am prepared for it or not.

"Come, let's talk somewhere quiet." She tugged my hand and lead me upstairs into her bedroom, away from everyone.

I gulped as Magnolia shut the bedroom door behind her.

"I know you had a rough childhood staying in all of those foster homes before you came to me. I want to start this off by telling you that when you first came to my doorstep I immediately knew you were supposed to be my baby girl, just know whatever decision you make, I will be behind you 100%." She said in her raspy voice.

I smiled. I really love this women.

I had gone through thirteen foster homes before I met Magnolia. To be honest, I was a little afraid of her when I was first brought to her house. She had tattoos and piercings, and she smoked a packet of cigarettes every day. I was terrified she was going to beat and starve me as the other foster parents did, but she ended up being my savior.

Magnolia was raised in a black-American household. She has a heart of gold. I thank god every day I found Magnolia when I did. I remember the day clearly. I was sad and bust mostly, I was hungry.