2| He Was a Good Guy

"Good morning Mr

"Good morning Mr. Dominik." My secretary, Madison, smiled at me as I pushed my way to my office.

I shook my head at her without saying a word. I've been cold and distant for the past couple of days. It's been two weeks since I buried my best friend Nigel. His death hit me hard. I miss him. I miss him very much.

He did not deserve to go out the way he did. He was a good guy. A family man with a wife and a newborn daughter.

I'm no stranger to experiencing death from a loved one but processing the fact that the only person outside of my family I trust in this world is dead is very challenging for me.

For the past few days, I plunged myself into my work. The workload around the office has been a bit more heavy than usual. I'm in the middle of opening up a hotel. The grand opening is set for sometime next year. It's taken a lot in me to not just walk away from this project. I've spent millions upon millions. At every single juncture I turn around there has been a problem that requires more money to rectify.

"Uh, Mr. Dominik," Madison voiced softly entering my office.

I sighed and glanced up from the document displayed in front of me and gave Madison an impatient glare. Madison is a decent-looking girl. She has an oval-shaped face and hazel eyes, with a slim figure. She is just too austere looking for my taste. She only dresses in simple clothing that does nothing to accentuate her body. Her hair is almost always in a bun and she wears little to no makeup. She's twenty-four but you would think otherwise due to the fact she dresses like a fucking librarian. Quite frankly, it's not an appearance I'm ever going to be attracted to.

"Your mother is here, she says it's urgent to speak to you." She said in her characteristic soft-spoken voice.

FUCK!

I teetered my head back aggravated. I have been avoiding my mother for the past couple of days. I knew it was only a matter of time before she tracks me down. I just did not think it would have been so soon.

"Can you tell her I'm not here?" I said pinching the bridge of my nose. "I'm sorry Mr. Dominik. I tried. She is very...She is very persistent."

I let out an irritated groan. I'm a fucked up guy but to an extent. I cannot let this poor, defenseless girl handle the one and only psychopathic Candice Dominik.

I stood on my feet and my mother barged into the office. She was wearing a white dress paired with a white trench coat. Her lustrous, blonde hair was sleeked back in a low bun. The aroma of her expensive perfume roamed through my office. I had an instant headache the moment it reached through my nostrils.

"Hello, mom." I soughed.

Madison made her escape and I was left in my office with my mother alone.

"Why hello Jonas. You little shit. What is the excuse this time huh? Let me guess, you were too busy to pick up a god damn phone and call up your fucking mother!" She shrieked at me as she positioned her hand on her skinny hip.