[7]-What are you doing to me

Start from the beginning

Should I tell her?

She kept her thumb and forefinger under my chin and tilted her head to look at me.

"What happened?" she asked again.

"What if I want to quit my job?" I asked, biting my lip.

"I have already asked you numerous times that there is no need for you to do any job. I can manage everything, you should just concentrate on your studies" she babbled, taking her hands from my chin but I help her hands in mine.

"I am not quitting job altogether, mummy. I...I just want to switch my job" I said.

"Oh. Where do you want to work?" she asked with a smile, probably thinking that I would be doing something that I like to do.

"I...it's a pub, mummy" I said and her smile vanished.

"Before you start thinking anything bad, it is a well reputed pub, mummy. You know Sharmas right?" I asked.

"The businessmen Sharmas?" she asked and I nodded my head.

"They own the chain of the pub." I said.

When she didn't say anything for a few seconds, I felt like she is going to deny

"Is it safe for you?" she asked, finally, after a few seconds of silence.

"Of course it is. I have enquired about everything, the package they are offering, the safety and also the working hours would be mostly during evening. That way I would be able to spend time with you and I won't have to spend long hours in work. Instead of online weekend classes, I can even enroll in classroom training or take up weekdays classes," I said excitedly.

"I am more bothered about your safety" she said clutching my hands in her in a tight hold.

"Mummy, they offer transport facility to all their employees" I said and she looked down.

She then looked at me and I gave her a small assuring smile.

"You are the only one I have, Sophia. You are very precious to me" she said and a tear slipped my eye.

Taking my hands off her and wiping my tears, I said "I will be fine mummy, besides if I don't switch, how will I be able to explore what life has stored in for me."

"If that's what you want, Sophia but remember, you need to always make me aware of your whereabouts," she said and I smiled.

"Thank you, thank you so much mummy" I said and hugged her.

Caressing my back while still hugging me, she said "just be careful."

Breaking the hug, I said "I will be careful, I promise."

Kissing her forehead, I then headed to my room.

The next day I went to the flower shop and talked to my manager regarding the new job.

She was a little taken aback with my decision but she knew very well that I needed money for mummy's heart transplant, so she didn't say anything.

I know she was upset but someday or the other, I had to take this tough decision.

Although I would miss all my colleagues and their friendly nature, I knew I had to take up some other job someday to get more money.

Once in the club for the delivery of flowers, I decided to have a word with Raj.

"The flowers are really beautiful," he said.

"Thank you" I said and made my way to his office.

Sitting on the chair, I was glancing around when I heard a throat clearing.