Episode 14 "The Soldier on the Grave" Part 2

Start from the beginning

We got back to the lab as I was in Temps office with Angie doing some paperwork for the next two weeks. Angie looks at Temp and I, "How are you and Booth doing?" I look at Angie, "I haven't been doing too good lately. I already had two panic attacks throw out the day." Brennan then adds, "Booth, he's mad. I think I said some things." Angie looks at Temp, "Honey..." "He wasn't being objective. I just had to get him to focus." "You have to think before you speak." "Why? I can say anything to you without thinking about it first." "Yeah, men aren't like us. They're much more fragile and needy. The fact that they think we're the needy ones is a testament to our superiority." "Yeah., I guess I forgot." Zack then comes in, "Dr. Brennan, the military delivered all the paperwork you requested. Private Kent's autopsy report is careless and incomplete. There was no incision, no X-rays, so there's no way to confirm the amount of bullets that he was hit with." I looked at the file that Temp was looking at questionably as Temp says, "The ME marked seven entry points, but the report says there were only six bullets." Zack then adds, "I could've done better with a Crayola." I chuckled, "Of course you could Zack, but don't estimate that Crayola, it has many great qualities." I look at Temp again with some seriousness, "What do you want to do Temp?" She looks at me and without even saying anything I knew what she wanted to do. I sighed, "I really don't like this idea Temp, but I am trusting you even if it might hurt Ranger and I." She gives me a small smile and grabs my hand and squeezes it a bit as I call Booth and tell him to meet us at the lab.

Booth is on the platform with us as Temp gives him the information as I stand on the side as Booth says, "Medical records are done on the fly in combat situations. That doesn't mean that they're falsified." Temp then says back, "Booth, the report is a mess. Ange, I'd like you to input these photographs and enhance them for as much detail as possible." Hodgins comes up to us as I stand by Booths side, "I couldn't salvage much flesh from Marshall's ear but I'm sending anything useful up to pathology to see if they can match anything with the DNA they pulled from Jimmy Merton's cigarette." He then turns to Angie, "Were you really mad before?" "Why, because of your strident, paranoid ramblings?" "I'm guessing mad. Fair enough. Can I at least give you some material to read?" "You could try. But you'd walk funny for a week." "I'd better work on these scrapings for Zack." 

Temp then speaks, "This is a murder. We know Devon would visit Kent's grave, Jimmy said, to apologize. He knew something about Kent, Booth. Something these reports will never tell us." "So what do you want to do?" I look away knowing what Temp was going to say, "I want to exhume Charles Kent." "Exhume a war hero? Do you have any idea what you're asking?" "It's the only way we'll really know what happened to him." "You have the report." "Which is sloppy and incomplete." "He is supposed to be honored this week, Bones, not humiliated." "Doesn't Devon Marshall deserve as much respect and honor as Kent?" "I am sorry, Bones. I can't let you do this." "I'm not asking for your permission, Booth. Venus will be getting the court order in an hour. I was just kind of hoping for your support." 

Booth then looks at me, "Really Blueberry?! You are okay with this?" I look up at him with sad eyes, "No..." "Then why are you doing this?" "It's because I also think Marshall should get the respect, he needs for honoring this country just as the rest of us. Also, I am putting my faith in Temp, even if it means that I won't like the outcome." Booth sighs as I walk away from the platform with Temp behind me. After an hour I got the court order, and we all went to exhume the body as we all watch. We see the parents of Kent and the mother comes up to us especially Booth as she says, "Agent Booth, I'm Tina Kent." "Yes, ma'am, I'm very sorry." She then slaps Booth as I winced a bit as her husband takes her away.

We are back in the Lab with Kent as he hasn't aged at all and we examined him. I am with Booth as I couldn't look at the body thinking it would cause an automatic panic attack as Booth picks up a medal. "You know, this is his Silver Star..." Temp looks at us as I still don't turn around, "I know how much you both hate this, Booth, Ven." Booth answers without looking, "Let's just get it over with, all right?" I nod, "Yeah, I really want to put him back as fast as we could." Temp nods, "Okay, I want a full set of X-rays and a clear picture of all fracture patterns. And a tox screen and analysis of any particulates in the wounds." Boss then answers, "DOD wants this done fast. They want this out of the press as soon as possible." "It will take the time it takes to do properly. Can you run scenarios on the angles and the entry order of the shots?" Angie nods, "Yeah, I should be able to give you something."