04. Black Jack

C H A E Y E O N G

The cards are dealt, facing down first, my eyes make little movement to see everything around me, but giving the illusion I'm only looking at Jongin. He looks cocky; in my two years here I've never played poker, yes I am good and I used to count cards to swindle idiots out of their money. May have nearly died when I was caught one time, wow Chaeyeong, you really are a slime ball.

Our upside cards were then dealt out, 10 of diamonds lay flat on top of Jongin's deck, not bad. Queen of hearts lay face up on my deck. Jongin looks up from my cards, meeting my deadly eyes as his smirk slightly faults. The dealer than places their own down, 7 of spades. So far Jongin and I have higher cards, just depends on our face down cards. Giving each other a slight nod we both look down at our cards.

King of hearts

Jongin slide in half his chips, being the bold person I am, I follow suit. Without giving Jongin enough time to process and think of a game plan, I start firing out my questions "So, what are you guys?"

"What?" He fires back way to quickly. Slightly on the defence. If I'm going to get any reasonable answer out of him, I need to break down his defences, scrabble his brain, beat him at his own game. 

"You and the guys, what exactly is your little group?" 

"We work here, same as you." He slight taps the table, thinking I didn't see his little gesture. I see you

"See, if it were the same as me, why don't I have one of those fancy watches or a radio ear pieces that you all wear?" He looks a little taken back by my observation, however; he's still smirking, whether he thinks he has the upper hand in Black Jack or he thinks I'll believe any lie he comes up with.

"It's not safe for you to be like us, we have them and other responsibilities to keep you and other safe." Before he can go on, my uncontrollable mouth buts in. 

"See that doesn't sounds like something a club owner or higher up would say." I place my palm on the felt signally I'll stand. "You all wear fancy suits and dress shirts, drive fancy cars. You don't hire outsiders, as Baekhyun put it, which means you guys are apart of something outside of this club. Something bigger." 

Jongin may never have let smirk fall from his face or the radiating confident dim, however; his nose slightly crinkle, his tell. His nose will crinkle when he hasn't got a good deck but will still bait the hell out of his opponents, it always crinkles when lies. He may not notice it, hell most people wouldn't notice the slight tug in his nose, but I do.

"Ahh, very deductive of you, Cupcake." He slides the rest of his chips into the pile. "I hope I'm the only person you watch this closely." 

"Oh, I can be very deductive, you just wouldn't notice." I slide all my chips to mirror him. This is my game, Jongin. You're not going to win. "Don't flatter yourself, Peaches." I run my tongue along my teeth, another habit of mine when my confidence levels hit overdrive. 

"Peaches? That's a new one." His eyes lingers on my lips longer, I've obviously distracted him. "If you're so deductive, why don't you tell me where all the guys are right now and maybe a little something about them. 

Jongin stands

"Kim Minseok, looking casual yet deadly in his black t-shirt and black jeans. Sits in the far right corner of the casino, dark, secluded, more chance of counting cards. His eyes say Rottweiler while his puppy dog smile says loveable Pitbull. If I had to make a theory, he sits at more suspicious tables to catch card counters."