Chapter 18-The Early Bird Gets the Wolf

Trap-a device or enclosure designed to catch and retain animals

"You have got to be shitting me," Ryder huffs, as he pulls on a long black sleeved shirt to match his dark blue jeans. "My aunt will never give me a moment of peace now."

I snicker as he glares at the mirror, and the ring of small purple and blue bruises on his neck to match mine.

"Serves you right," I chuckle, jumping off the bed in my olive green sweater and ripped skinny jeans. "But if it makes you feel better, my brother will give me a load of grief as well. Now I'm hungry so let's go."

I don't wait for him to reply, I practically run out of the room, fly down the stairs, take a hard right down the narrow hallway of bedroom doors, and skid to a stop at the entrance to a massive kitchen. Adults maneuver around kids in pajamas, and teenagers tapping away on their phones. While the ovens and stoves, waft with the smell of bacon grease and melting butter.

Of course, upon me coming into view I'm rushed by two half pixie kids, and a gaggle of wolf pups. As always, they are followed by a bunch of snickering adolescents with phones, two of which are half-fae, three are wereleapords , and four happen to be Nicole and three other teens. Who are full blooded nosey werewolves, just like their parents who are now all laughing and snorting at my expense. Until one of the pixie kids starts throwing glowing green dust everywhere in celebration of my arrival.

"Hey, watch it," Carlos growls, shaking his lanky black hair like a dog. Nika bursting out laughing as the wolf teens start sneezing uncontrollably.

"Ha, and you said your better cause you have a better nose than me," she snickers, along with her half-fae twin brother Zavi. "Stupid fairy," Nicole hisses, earning growls of fury from the twins.

Instantly, Nika went for Nicole only to have her cousin Maria of all people block her path. They fall onto the ground, and the entrance to the kitchen soon becomes an all out pit fight. Well until the pixie kids rain down more dust, making us sneeze ourselves silly while the adults get back to making breakfast. Just another normal day in the Coldwood Pack, although it's mostly made up of outcasts of the supernatural society, and that's why it's the best.

We got an elderly couple who are thousand year old trolls. A oriental dragon shifter who has a fear of fire, and a vegetarian vampire of which has everyone confused on how he sustains himself. Plus the many half-blood orphans being raised by some of the childless werewolf couples in the pack. Not to mention the tiny clan of gnomes living in Carol's mate's garden and the colony of sprites in the forest.

"All right, all right!" Ryder bellows, picking up the dust throwers by the scruffs of their necks and getting the other fighters' attention. "You've had your fun, now let Serena up and go eat your breakfast," he finishes with a threatening low growl.

Immediately, everyone scampers off to the tables. As Ryder releases his mischievous charges. Swiftly, he helps me up from the floor and cradles me in his arms. Before I can retort, an explosion sounds from outside, shaking the windows, glasses, and bowls on the tables.

"Oh Hell no!" Carol's mate Solarin bellows, jumping from his place at the table and storming for the double doors leading to the backyard.

"Not again, not another goddess damn experiment. So help me if they've set my rosebushes on fire, I'll tan their hides by thunder!"

Jerking out of Ryder's arms, I follow the surly blond outside. The cold bite of morning hits me like a bucket of water, but it's not the main reason that I skid to a halt and nearly face plant into the grass.

"Molly, Laura, Nick, what the hell are you doing?" I holler, feeling my jaw drop at the car sized crater in the wide open field, bordered by dense forest on each side.

Like a whip, I twist my head and find the three arsonists. All of them covered in dirt, smoke, and right on the very edge of the still smoking hole in Carol's backyard.

"Just testing out a few defensive prototypes," Nick answers, placing his hands in his pockets and rocking back on his heels. "Though I think we need to lower the number of explosives in the package."

I marched over, utterly furious that they would do something like this without discussing it with me first. Just as I get up to the smiling little heathens, I hear a shout from the woods followed by a loud thump.

"Well would you look at that," Solarin chuckles, taking off his gardening gloves after his quick perusal of his precious plants. "Seems that net trap came in handy after all."

Cautiously, I walk over to the tree line with the kids right behind me. I sniff the air, latching on to the scent of male musk, dirt, and of all things sweet caramel. The familiar smell ticks something in brain, as I draw closer to the clearing where a raised net shakes and twists above the ground.

Hurried footsteps sound just as the net twists around, and I'm struck dumb at the wolf inside the ropey prison. "Oh Terrence," Nicole whines, bursting into the clearing and running up to her trapped mate. "What did they do to you?"

Terrence shrugs, his thin arms drowning under the too large sweatshirt that is dark as the leaves on the trees. "Seems they have got me no?" he chuckles, earning pleased grins from my siblings.

"I told you it would work Rena," Laura squeals happily, running over where the rock securing the rope to the net lies. "I've always wanted to do this."

Before I can shout, she takes out a pair of scissors and cuts the rope. Terrence lets out a yelp as he makes contact with the ground, while Nicole shrieks with rage and chases Laura around the crumpled remains of the net. Molly lets out a war cry, and scampers after her twin and Nicole. Nick it seems is the only one of the three maniacs to care about Terrence's predicament.

Without a word, we both set to the task of getting the gangly teen out of the net while our siblings and Nicole, scream bloody murder through the woods. Likely scaring off any prey for miles around the pack house. Wonderful, now I have to explain to Carol why hunting practice is canceled, again.