Chapter 4-The Runaway Mate

Unrequited-(of a feeling, especially love) not returned or rewarded

The alcohol from the beer, burns my throat as I chug half the bottle down. The burn, for the moment, takes my mind off an already shitty day.

First, I was woken up at four in the morning by a loud banging on the wall. Turns out it was the hotel guests in the next room fornicating, and the sound of breaking furniture. Next, a group of random punks tried to jump me, lucky for them I went easy on them, giving them all matching black eyes. Then, as I'm getting out of my car to get some food, my nose picks up the scent of roses and sea salt.

The scent familiar and intoxicating all at once. I followed the scent into the building, the scent getting stronger as I reached the double glass doors. However, just as I entered the little diner the scent disappears and I'm left standing in the middle of the room like an idiot. Suddenly, the roar of a truck engine makes me turn around.

I see a small powder blue truck race down the street. The exact same truck from last night, a truck caked in her scent, the scent of my mate. Like any normal wolf, I chased after her through town. Just as I was in spitting distance, the light turned red and I lost her.

In my frustration I nearly broke my steering wheel, and then cursed a blue streak to the horrified look of the driver next to me.

I then spent the next three hours driving around town, hoping to catch a whiff of the rose and salt smell. When my gas tank was nearly empty, I decided to get some gas and get a well deserved drink. Now I'm here, in this small sleazy bar just a block away from the Witching Hour. A club know for its wide array of acts and music, from gymnastics to fire dancing, and opera to hip hop. It's the perfect place for the strange and wild, a perfect place to disappear.

You see, I've been on the run for most of my life, to keep out of my older brother's grasp. As the older twin he gained control of our pack after our father died. Him being a selfish controlling prick had me run out of the pack at just sixteen. But somehow he got it in his head that I would come back and take away his control, so he sent the cruelest males in the pack to hunt me down.

That was five years ago and so far I think I've done pretty good for myself. Putting my heightened strength and speed to use, I got myself hired on as a bounty hunter by the government. Now at twenty-one years old, I have one of the highest successful missions counts in the country. But now I'm ready to settle down and perhaps stay in a town for more than a couple days.

The only problem is finding one with a pack that doesn't kill or capture rouges on sight. That's why I got to find my runaway mate before they find her or worse.

The sound of the TV interrupts my thoughts, and brining back the sounds and smells of the bar to the front of my mind. Greasy food, stale beer, cooking oil, and cigarettes burn my nose. The sound of clinking glasses, drunken laughter, and blaring country music, gives me a headache and it's not even five.

Peering up from the bar counter, my eyes track across the faces of bikers, farmers, and a few college students clustered around the small tables and mismatched chairs. Their shoes scuffing across the worn wooden floor, as a few of them play a rowdy game of pool on the worn felt table surface.

Sipping my beer, I look up a that the large flatscreen that the rest are watching. The blond newswoman spewing something about the local elementary schools ballet recital. The camera changes to a tall guy in a suit, his attention focused on the two identical blond girls in matching fairy costumes. As he asks them the same old boring questions about school and other mundane things, a young woman appears behind the girls.

The woman's long purple hair trails down her black button down shirt, her teeth peeled back in an infectious smile. Her eyes looking down at the little girls in admiration and joy, eyes the color of blue fire. The same ones that I saw last night, eyes that stared back at me behind a pair of dark shades.

"Mate," I feel myself whisper.

I quickly stand up and throw a few bills on the counter, in a flash I'm out the door and heading for my car. As I come around the front of my car, I crash into something solid. Falling onto my back, I feel the air rush out of my lungs as someone pins me to the ground. Blinking away the black spots from my eyes, I'm faced with a set of familiar green ones. Eyes belonging to a tall redhead with scars on her pale cheeks.

Those same green orbs go wide in surprise as she mumbles in disbelief. "Ryder, it can't be," she says.

Huffing a laugh I give her a lopsided grin. "It's nice to see you too, Aunt Carol," I reply.

Oh plot twist🤪😎

Such possibilities, and so much to explain.

Oh well till next time guys 😘😉