Chapter 13-Rock and Run

Rockstar- a person who is admired for their skills or achievements in any field or profession

"Goddess I can't believe I get to be back stage!" the little hybrid squeals right next to my ear.

"Hey, could you lower the volume I can't hear myself think," I grumble, crossing my arms glaring at the screaming crowd under the club lights.

"He's right Laurel, you might want to squeal just a bit quieter," Derrick says, wrapping an arm around the little psycho's waist.

I roll my eyes as they cuddle closer, whispering to each other so low I can't make out what they are saying. That should be me and Serena right now, not me being relegated to the sidelines watching her from afar. My thoughts blank when a guitar rift echoes through the room, the chords like a howl and awakening something primal buried deep inside me.

My jaw clenches as I hold onto my carefully built control, as drums start to beat and the crowd claps in time. The music of foot stomping rock pounds through my ears, as my eyes widen when the spotlight shines on Serena's heart stopping form.

I feel my foot start tapping to the beat as she throws her luscious voice into song.

Every one wants a piece of me
Every one wants this feral disease
But they don't know

The crowd shouts out in time, pumping their fists in the air as Serena struts down the stage aisle, blond hair swinging behind her.

Oh they don't see the circling beast
The fire burning underneath
They see only what they desire
A hot blooded girl that will sate their fire

The drums beat again fast and sharp, my mate shaking her hips in time to the beat. Hollers and whistles from the crowd makes me purr in contentment. They may get to watch her from afar, but I'll be the one that will feel her gentle touch. Fire works flare on stage, the music jumping into a head jarring chorus.

Beware her claws
Beware her bite
Look out for her glowing eyes
For she'll make you hers
Make you turn
Into the beast of the earth

The music flares with blood thumping riffs and pounding drums. The crowd roars as my mate spins and dances on stage, the lights shining on her clothes and hair. A blond angel in devilish black, the skin tight material forcing me to look away. Lest I break my promise to Serena, and destroy what little trust I have formed with her.

The club walls shake with the sound of the music, Serena throwing her voice loud and clear for all to hear. Her voice belting out notes clear as a bell and enchanting as a mythic siren.

"Hey Ryder!" Derrick shouts in my ear, pointing towards two forgotten guitars. "Let's see if they can use two more players."

One of the guitarists notices us, she smiles and waves us over before running her fingers over the guitar strings. Throwing her heart into the wall shaking solo, making the crowd scream even more.

"Sounds good to me," I say to Derrick, before grabbing the red one and him the black.

Settling my hands on its neck and strings, I give Derrick a knowing smile before rushing on stage and joining the other two guitarists. His jaw drops as I play on key with the band, throwing in a flourish of riffs that sends the crowd wild. I must say, spending a month with a band to find a wanted mafia member really paid off.

Derrick rushes over and joins me, pressing his back to mine we send our guitars into a duel of thundering riffs. I catch Serena's eye, a feral smile on her face as silver clad back up dancers join her on stage. The girls spin flaming batons above their heads, the colors changing from neon green to midnight blue and blood red.

As they circle her, Serena brings the mic to her lips and sends the crowd wild continuing the song's hypnotic melody. Her voice changing in tone, enchanting and then a primal roar.

See my form drawing near
Feel your body fill with fear
To the animal you see inside
Buried beneath my human hide!

Fire flares from the smoke machines, the dancers parting for Serena. She beckons with her hand, feet moving side to side and her hips rolling to the beat. Nodding to Derrick, I begin playing a quick series of notes. Testing, teasing the crowd as the notes scream and increase an octave with every repeat. I make my way to my mate, the crowd roaring for the finishing series of notes.

When I draw close enough, flames flare again lighting up Serena's face and her quick all seeing glance of me. A fresh red shirt under my leather jacket, my hair dripping with sweat as my hands deftly bring out a wail from the guitar.

Twisting her body, she presses her back against my side. Vocalizing a belting of melodic cries from her throat, as I finally throw the guitar chords into a mind numbing solo. As soon as it began, the solo and her voice stops as the song comes to an end with the final bang of the drums.

The crowd cheers as we gasp for breath, instinctively I wrap my free hand around her waist. The guitar strap pressing against my chest, and her cheek brushing over my heart.

"Man, where did you learn to play like that?" Serena says breathlessly, before pulling away slightly to wave at the crowd.

As I start to answer, one of the dancers pulls the guitar over my head. Thanking her with a nod, I then swiftly spin Serena around, slowly dropping her into a dip and brushing my nose against the silk of her mask.

"When you have a bounty, you have to learn a few things to get close to them," I answer, pulling her face towards mine.

"Really close," I drawl, as our lips meet, sending sparks down my spine like fireworks.

Serena growls underneath me, nipping the flesh of my skin and ripping a moan of pleasure from my throat. Controlling myself, I pull her back up and scoop her into my arms bridal style. Girls scream and guys holler encouragement from the crowd. Looking down at my mate, she just shakes her head and smiles. I smile to between my pants for air, and just as she pulls me down for another kiss a loud bang rips through the room.

I nearly drop Serena as loud growls sound through the darkness. The house lights flare on, revealing at least twenty men in combat gear with red glowing eyes.

"Oh shit," Serena and I say in unison, as the werewolves storm into the crowd.