Chapter 6-The Reveal

Pure-of unmixed origin or descent

"Now I would like to know why I was woken up at ten at night, by my Beta telling me that three pups had taken your car for a joy ride, and that two grown wolves were sparring near a club full of humans?" Carol asks in a chilling voice.

Her gaze blazing from behind her oak wood desk. Ryder and I, the targets of those fierce green orbs, sit stock still in our chairs. Both of us still in our clothes from our little tussle, my leggings riddled with holes and Ryder's shirt speckled with blood. Peering up at Carol from behind my disheveled locks, all I can muster is three anger filled words. "It's his fault," I say, flicking a flake of dried blood off my leg.

"And why is that?" Carol asks, her eyes turning on Ryder.

Even under her heated gaze, he doesn't even flinch in his chair. The palms of his hands splayed out over his jeans, the pant legs torn and filled with wolf tooth marks. The twins reaction to finding out that he was my mate, the little devils jumping him after we arrived at the pack house.

Meeting Carol's gaze, Ryder gives her a shit eating grin before settling his eyes on me. My lips pull back in a snarl, cheeky ass bastard.

"Well I will admit that I did chase her through town, and then tracked her to the club," he says while resting his chin on his fist. "But I wasn't the one who attacked first if you must know."

"Bullshit!" I yell, jumping out of my chair so fast that I knock it on its back. "You charged straight at Mike, all because he was holding my hands."

"If you had actually used that thick head of yours, it would have been obvious to you that he had no romantic intentions, you smarmy lowdown piece of-."

"Serena sit your ass down!" Carol bellows, her eyes sparking with anger. "And you," she hisses, pointing a finger at Ryder. "Don't think for a second that you're the innocent party here, you still owe me an explanation of why you did not announce your presence to me."

Ryder just rolls his eyes while I right my chair and settle myself back down. "Well for starters I didn't know you controlled this territory until you rushed me outside the bar," Ryder utters.

His voice annoying calm and collected, even though Carol looks like she wants to turn him into a wall decoration. Not to mention the muffled series of angry growls from behind the office door. No doubt the twins can sense him in here, and they are ready for round two. "I was mainly concerned with finding a very stubborn and reckless mate of mine."

"Pif, yeah right," I say. "What did you expect for me to do, run right up to you and kiss your ass. How would you have reacted if some random wolf started walking into traffic just because they think your their mate? Well news flash meathead, I am not some weak little female who needs to be coddled or kept in the house to pop out dozens of pups on command."

Anger like hot magma, fills my veins with its slow biting heat. As the words tumble past my lips, my vision turns red as I go on. "I am not helpless, and I will not be chased or pushed around by anyone!" I yell.

As the words leave my lips, the glass vases, windows, and picture frames shatter. The glass flying into the air, on instinct I throw out my hands and the shards come to a halt in mid air. Just inches from me, Carol and Ryder, the glass then falls onto the carpeted floor.

They don't even get a chance to do anything before I bolt out the door and into the dark wood paneled hallway. The tears come fast and hot down my cheeks, my head now pounding and filled with the droning of footsteps and yells. Now I've done it, I did the one thing that I promised my mother I would never do.

The memory of the blood seeping from her body, the color leaching from her face. As she held my trembling hands, my siblings clutching my clothes as they watched her fade away.

"Promise me, promise me you will never let them know.
That you will stay together and that you will cultivate what the goddess has given you.
If they find out they will use you to do horrible things.
But most importantly control your emotions, each of you must learn that.
Or there will be consequences, consequences that will destroy you."

Her voice warm as summer rain, fills my head like fog as I open and slam the hall closet door. I back away from the door until my spine meets the solid wood of the wall. A fresh wave of tears fall, as I slowly slide down the wall to the floor. Burying my head in hands, I collapse into my sorrow and the wrenching sobs echo against the wall.

I stay like that for what seems like forever, until I hear the door creak open and feel two wet noses snuffle against my skin. Putting down my hands, a weak smile spreads across my face when I see two small wolf pups with silver fur and blue eyes. Those eyes filled with concern at my red puffy face and runny nose.

"Hey girls," I whisper as I rub both their small furry heads. "I'm okay but-." The words seem to dry on my tongue, as a wave of guilt and shame fills my heart. "I'm so sorry," I sob, the tears returning with a vengeance.

The girls whine and snuggle themselves against my chest. My heart breaking in two at what I will have to put them through, again. We have to leave Coldwood, I feel the thought skitter across my brain. We can't stay here or else the pack will become a target, and it will be all my fault.

As we cuddle in the small closet, I hear the door open again and the scent of pine following after. We don't move, not wanting to leave the comforting embrace of this moment. The heavy steps draw closer and his scent gets stronger as Ryder draws near. I have no energy or will to make him leave, even as he pulls me and the girls into his strong arms.

I don't even register the light steps of Nick, as he winds his arms around my waist. The girls shifting around him, until we are all enveloped in Ryder's warmth. I feel my cheek brush against his leather coat, the smell of his scent somehow calming my raging heart.

"Serena," Ryder drawls, his breath blowing against the bangs. "I know you are not helpless, you radiate strength and have kept your family safe for so long. But you don't have to do it alone, not anymore."

Peering up into his green eyes, I frown as he brushes away a stray lock of my hair. "How?" I whisper, my voice low and rough.

"Because, I know what it's like to have secrets," he says, his voice going hollow and haunted. "And a past that is shrouded with pain."