Chapter 2-Highway to Hell

Hell- a place regarded in various religions as a spiritual realm of evil and suffering

"Rena, Rena," I hear someone whisper in my ear.

"Mmm five more minutes," I groan. Turning over and snuggling deeper into the warm covers.

"For the love of Thor, wake up!" Nick shouts.
My blankets are briskly ripped off, leaving me shivering in my leggings and tank top. Dammit, I hate Monday mornings and unwanted wake up calls.

"Ugh, okay I'm up," I grumble. "Now just let me throw something on and I'll take you and the girls to school."

"Well finally," Nick says sounding relieved. "Cause it's seven thirty and we need to be there at eight sis."

"Oh crap on a cracker!" I shriek, as I jump out of bed and run for my closet.

Like a mad woman, I shift through my meager collection of shirts and jeans. Settling on a Batman T-shirt and red pants, I run full tilt for the bathroom. Nick right behind me with inquisitive pale blue eyes, the same color as my own. I put on my clothes in a rush, not bothering to smooth the wrinkles in my pants as I pull on my leather boots.

All the while Nick casually finger combs his dirty blond hair, and brushes his teeth to a high shine. Surprisingly unlike me, he actually cares to make himself presentable, I could care less how I looked. With the amount of shit I have to do everyday, it seems almost impossible for me to take a minute just to fix my wayward appearance.

Between my work at both the diner and the club, taking care of the kids, and my online college classes. It's a miracle that I'm still halfway decent and not suffering from the effects of sleep deprivation.

When I'm done, I follow Nick down the stairs and into the cozy warm kitchen. Molly and Laura are already dressed and eating their favorite raspberry pop tarts. Their pink and purple skirts matching perfectly with their butterfly patterned shirts. It almost hurts every time I look at them, both of them being the mini versions of Mom. Their bright blue eyes, heart shaped faces, and curly blond locks, cementing the fact.

Thankfully Nick takes after Dad with his tall lanky form and dimpled cheeks. His blue jean jacket matching his pants tucked into his worn black converse. Unlike them I don't really look like our parents besides my eyes and tall stature. My hair when uncolored is a muddy brown, while my face is dimple free and pale as snow.

My belly rumbles, as I grab myself a piece of toast smeared with blueberry jam. I moan with pleasure as I bite into the toast, while Nick just rolls his eyes in annoyance. After we finish eating, all four of us get ready to leave. Like a well oiled machine we get the dishes in the sink, and our butts out the door and into the car.

"Everyone ready?" I say to them.

"Yes," they reply in unison.

"Glad to hear it," I reply, as we pull out of the driveway.

It takes about twenty minutes for us to arrive at the elementary school. The twins let themselves out and run towards the crowd of kids heading into the building. Nick takes his time and strolls along to the other side of the street, calmly making his way into the junior high school just as the morning bell rings.

With the kids safely in school, I drive toward main street and pull into the small back parking lot of the Rock n' Roll diner. Just as I'm getting out of the car, I hear a loud smack and someone yell, "You fucking bitch!"

I feel my throat rumble as I growl while walking towards the sound. Coming round the front of the diner, I see a beefy guy push a teenaged girl to the ground. Built like a line backer, the guy dwarfs the skinny brunette, towering over her with menace.

It's Nicole, Mike's sixteen year old niece and her lip and cheek are bleeding. I see red and charge the guy like a battering ram, sending us both onto the ground with a thump. He throws me on my back and wraps is fingers around my throat, my vision filling with black spots as I knee him in the crotch. The jerk moves off of me, giving me the chance to jump to my feet and punch him right in the face.

I feel his nose break against my knuckles, the blow making him fall back and knocking him out cold. I spit on the ground near his head in disgust, why can't guys like him have some manners for once.

I help Nicole up from the ground and pull her into a firm hug. Her body shuddering with sobs in my arms. "Don't worry honey," I say soothingly. "He won't be waking up for a good while, that will give your mom enough time to kick him out of town."

"I-I did-didn't even speak o-or l-look at him before he tried to gra-grab me," she cries.

"It's all over Nicky," I say gently rocking her side to side. "Now, how about I ask Mrs. Porter to get you a big tub of double fudge ice cream?"

Snuffling she looks up at me with puffy red eyes and a small smile. "Okay, can I have cherries to please?" she says. I chuckle as we head into the diner. "Of course you can sweetie."

I sit her down at the counter, and make my way behind it and grab my apron. Just as I finish tying it though, I hear the ting of the diner bell. Looking up I come face to face with my arch nemesis, Sheriff Calver, his gray mustache pulled down in a frown of displeasure.

"Miss Winters, could you please tell me why Jeremiah Bradford is unconscious outside," he huffs in an authoritative tone.

"I don't rightly know Sheriff, perhaps a stray wind came barreling through," I answer, sounding innocent as can be.

Calver glares at me with unbelieving gray eyes. All I can do is smile a not so innocent smile, as my favorite song stars playing on the radio. And like the song says, I'm definitely on the highway to hell.

Hehehe, God I love this girl she sure knows how to sock it to the system.