Chapter 13 (A Crack in the Ice)

Two weeks passed, winter had come. Summer clothes were now replaced by layers of layers of sweaters and jackets in an attempt to combat the bitter cold of winter, and oddly enough after the incident in the café, everybody noticed that the usually cheerful Marco became a bit sullen, everyone thought it was because of the winter, but Serra knew better.

He tried his best to hide his feelings but he was just to transparent, he was never the type to be able to do a poker face. Surprsingly even Anastasia got worried by his strange behavior. Until one day, Annie swing by his class to check up on him.

Marco was about to go out of his room when he was surprised to see Anastasia leaning on the banister of their door, waiting for him.

She looked so cool with her violet Jansport bag pack by her side, effortlessly making their uniform look appealing with its above the knees gray skirt and white long sleeve blouse. Her red hair tied in a ponytail. His mouth went dry.

"Why are you avoiding me, you little punk?" she asked in a matter-fact kind of voice. His voice came out in a squeal due to his nervousness. She always makes him feel that way. He covered his mouth in his embarrassment. Anastasia cracked a smile. Oh wow! She actually smiled for the first time because of me. I deserve a nobel prize for this.

Anastasia cocked her head sideway, observing him; "Meet me at the Café mon amour tonight. Come or else you're a dead meat." She nicely threatened. He wasn't offended though, he was used to her talking like that to him. He would actually freak out even more if she will ever talk to him nicely someday. It must be the end of the world then.

Marco reluctantly nodded. He was afraid to come because what if she'll break up with him right there and then? Although their relationship was a complete sham right from the very first time. It might mean nothing to her, but it meant the whole world to him. He wasn't ready for that to happen. Somehow deep inside his huge fat heart, he still hopes that she'll come around, eventually.

There was a twitch in her red lips that was between a smile and a grimace that expressed her satisfaction; an expression only reserved for Marco. Although she didn't laugh or flirted with him, that small pleasure was good enough for him.

[At the Café mon amour; 7:30 P.M.]

They agreed to meet up at 6PM but Marco was unusually late tonight. She sat outside the café, waiting for him. Anastasia moodily stood up from her chair in her impatience. She was already thinking of murderous things to do to him when all of a sudden she saw his figure walking towards her.

He didn't see her yet, his head bowed down; looking all dejected. He was not in the best mood either. His shoulders slumped, indicating how sad he really felt. Marco almost didn't come because he thought this was just one of her pranks again. But with Anastasia inviting him for the first time on a date, or at least he hope was a date, he just couldn't resist not going.

He raised his head. His heart momentarily stopped when he saw Anastasia's furious face that made her look even more ethereally beautiful. And curiously there was a tinge of worry expressed in there too. How odd. He blushed at the thought of its impossibility; how he wish.

Her nose was red from the cold. He felt guilty for that. She was about to talk, when he noticed her not wearing any gloves he felt irritated. She could have caught a cold! Shock coursed through her when he suddenly grabbed her hands and rubbed it against his own, blowing warmth into it. For a moment her heart stirred. It was the first time someone has ever held her hand that way.

Thud.

Thud.

Thud.

It was the sound of her heart beating.

Thud.

Thud.

She blinked.

Thud.

Thud.

How dare he?

Thud.

Thud.

He looked at her intensely from his thick eyelashes.

Thud.

Thud.

Her heart... why the hell was it acting weirdly?

Thud.

Thud.

The most queer part is that his hand felt so good against her own snow white skin.

Thud.

Thud.

And worst, she was asking herself why she didn't even resist.

Thud.

Thud.

"Wear a gloves next time or else I'll kiss you your hands. Either way, I like to do both." There was a glint of seduction in his eyes that he wasn't even aware that he was doing.

Thud.

Thud.

She blushed.

Thud.

Thud.

S M A C K!

She bewildered him when she gave an unexpected reaction by hitting him on his head. "OUCH!" he groaned, rubbing his throbbing head.

"Touch me again and I'll kill you." She warned, trying to cover up from the heat that he gave her. She exhaled heavily, trying to breathe steadily again.