T H I R T Y F O U R

The clock ticked loudly, draining the energy out of every second

The clock ticked loudly, draining the energy out of every second. Time felt so slow even if you were with your friends; especially if you couldn't speak. The classroom was filled with a natural glow as the sunlight streamed in through the blinds, shining past us and towards the teacher at the front.

I yawned in exasperation, my arms crossed over my chest as I tapped my foot on the steel footing of the science table.

The phone went off beside her, clearly startling her with the unexpected noise. She reached out a frail hand and lifted the phone to her ear. Her expression formed into annoyance as she huffed before cancelling and getting up.

"I will be back in ten minutes. Stay here and do not talk." She announced, grabbing her jacket and leaving. The turn of the lock clicked and her descending footsteps sounded faintly until they disappeared.

Immediately, I turned to the rest, ushering them over. They all moved from their scattered places around the classroom, taking seats around me. "We need to talk." I announced, gathering their attention. All eight pairs of eyes focussed on me.

I ignored the boy opposite me, refusing to look at him. I didn't need more heartbreak.

"I hired a private investigator to figure out what the hell has been going on." I started. Everyone tensed - maybe with hope -, even Liliane, Hayden and Sophianna after we had filled them in."They found nothing."

They all deflated.

"Absolutely useless, I swear. How did they not find anything, there must have been something?" Lilianne asked, annoyed.

"Do you.." Hendrix hesitated. "Do you think that it could have been someone here?" He asked quietly. He was fiddling with his hands, staring at the table with all traces of a smile gone.

Bentley sighed. "Who knows? The question is what do we do?"

"The police! they must know something right? They must have a case." Hayden interjected, looking at me.

"As far as I know, Will isn't on it." I shrugged. "I could get him to find out though." There were nods of agreement.

There was no noise for a few minutes and I observed my friends. They all looked stressed, stuck in their own heads.

The two that caught my eyes among the students with hazy eyes, were Adir and sophianna that were sat beside each other; her head laid on his shoulder comfortably. It made a smile crack through the surface of my mind. It was obvious they liked each other but neither went over the line of announcing it. Most of the time that Adir wasn't with us, he was with sophianna.

I wanted to look at Bentley so bad; see his eyes shine with wickedness and trouble. I wanted to see the perfect smile on his face whenever I looked towards him. I wanted to be safe.

But the words he spoke to me that day in the bathroom rang in my head, reminding me that I was alone.

"You'd break my heart if you left." He had said. Funnily enough, it was the other way around.