F O U R T E E N

"Ready

"Ready... Get set..."

I braced my right leg forward, my eyes set on the other side of the field which had bright red tape across the grass.
The finish line.

An emerald coloured flag was attached to my hip, tucked into the waistband of my silk pyjama bottoms and, an emerald token sat in my pocket.

There were two teams of 60 people or so and honestly I wouldn't even remember everyone in my team if it weren't for the flags.I had never played such childhood games with 136 other pupils but there was a first for everything, right?

I had ended up pulling a green flag from the bag, leaving me in team emerald, along with Hendrix, Liliane, and Adir. The others had ended up in team Ruby where they sported Ruby coloured flags.

Some guy named Dylan was holding our emerald gem that was the size of his head, and looked pretty heavy. Our strategy was to make way for him, through the sea of Ruby players so that he could get the gem to the other side.

"GO!" As soon as the whistle blew, I was racing forward. Hurds of the opposite team came racing towards us from the other end of the field and it was only a matter of second before a crash would happen, and fights would ensure every meter along the width.

I braced myself for a fight with a girl heading right towards me, but at the last second she slid down on her knees. I managed to jump up and over her, avoiding the hand trying to grab my flag.

As soon as my feet met the ground, I ran, sticking close to Dylan.

On my right, I glanced at a pair fighting, and my eye caught a mean punch on the other side of Dylan. I caught a boy faltering as he was stared down by Bentley, with a glare so dark he looked murderous. Clearly, there were a bunch of people scared of him as the boy ran off.

A group of rubies came running our way, heading for the gem but before they could snatch it out of his hand, he threw it over their heads and I caught it swiftly. Yells rang out as they noticed the prized possession now in my hands, and I ran as fast as my legs could take me; my eyes trained on the red line.

It was meters away.

I swerved a boy as he grabbed for me, shoving another after him. As soon as I passed them, a girl made a grab to snatch the gem from me and I shoved my elbow in her face, hearing a crunch.

I made eye contact with Hendrix and without a seconds hesitation, I also threw the gem over people's heads, just before I met the ground. Grunting, I pushed the person away and got up. Grabbing the collar of one of the boys attacking Hayden, I pushed him off and allowed Hayden to grab my outstretched hand before we made our way to Hendrix, who was leaving a trail of injured buddies.

We noticed the red gem getting close to the opposite end. However, we made no move to go as we noticed half of the school, who was on our team, handling it.