T W E N T Y S E V E N

I got out of the car as soon as he had stopped, slamming the door shut behind me

I got out of the car as soon as he had stopped, slamming the door shut behind me. I ignored the way everything hurt and how I almost tripped in my horrible state but continued to walk forward.

I didn't focus on how the night sky showcased its darkness like a blanket of truth; easy to see but hard to see through. I didn't focus on the way the river reflected the moon and the night sky littered with stars as I stumbled upon it. I didn't focus on the way the bridge stood still above the silent river, giving me some sort of stability as I stood at the edge.

I only focus on the way my stomach clenched and the way my dull heart thudded even though I was in the serenity of the outside world with no other human being to disturb me.

I slowly sat down, edging closer to the edge until my legs went over and dangled towards the water. My hands gripped the edge of the bridge, my fingers pressing into its wooden exterior.

The night was cold and relentless as goosebumps travelled up my arms and all over. My eyes drilled into the water, wishing it would give me some sort of relief, happiness or any sort of release.

I had cried most of the way here but i couldn't help it. It was a human response that was triggered whenever something happened that shouldn't. It was a human response I didn't want but had because it was my only release.

The feel of the dark asphalt beneath my fingers were rough, imprinting and cutting my palms.

Another car door slam told me he was out of the car but I paid no heed to him or anything else in a matter of fact.

I angled my tear stained face downwards, towards the lake and stared into its never-ending darkness beneath. Bentley slowly lowered himself down beside me, letting his legs swing over the edge carefully.

His shirt-clad arm brushed against my bare one before it disappeared and a weight landed around my shoulders. Without a word, he wrapped the suit jacket around my shoulders and without disturbing my train of thought, he softly placed my arms through the sleeves until it was snug.

Everything was still cold though.

He sat silently beside me, his leg occasionally brushing mine as they swung above the water.

What I would do right now to joke to Laken about his name at this moment.

"You want to talk about it?" His voice was gentle and I finally realised something. It was odd and I never noticed it before.

I had never seen Bentley speak to me harshly or as grumpily as he did to others. Everything he spoke - to me - he lowered his voice as if every word between us was a secret only we could know. His voice was always light unlike how rowdy he was with our other friends.

Bentley could be the grumpiest bear something, although I had not really seen it myself. Only heard from others.

In my few months of staying at the academy, I had heard many tales of my friends and of course myself. Bentley's always intrigued me; he was quiet, stone-faced and nerve racking. Apparently, Bentley had been that one guy that was common in every school; intimidating and out of reach. But I had never seen that side of him that many described.