Chapter Eleven

Leah sat on the bed, looking at the piece of paper that lied next to her. She sighed as she stood and went to the pin that Mackenzie was lying in. Mackenzie opened her eyes, her steel blue eyes looking into Leahs dark brown ones.
   "Guess you're stuck with me, kid." Leah said. "Let's eat a little, get ready, then we'll go shopping for you and change the room near mine for you."
   She quickly left and got a water bottle and went back in the room. She grabbed the empty bottle, poured some water in it, then put in the formula, and shook the bottle till it was all mixed. She placed it on the nightstand next to the bed and grabbed Mackenzie.
   "I am going to make a list once I'm done feeding you, eat a little, get us ready, then we'll leave. How does that sound?"
   Mackenzie continued to stare at her.
   "Right, you can't really say or do anything."

   • Crib
   • Stroller
   • Baby soap
   • Bathtub
• Baby Monitor
   • More diapers and wipes
• More baby clothes

   "Let's get some of these things down." Leah said as she patted Mackenzie's back a little as she was held in the wrap carrier. "We can get you a cute little mat for tummy time. You're starting to grab things, so maybe I should get you some more toys."
   She let out a breath, pushing the cart down more the baby aisle. She grabbed the diapers and wipes, sliding them at the bottom of the cart. She struggled a little to stand up. She continued to push the cart then she found the aisle for the strollers and cribs.
   "How are we feeling about this Lion King one? . . . Mmm, maybe this Nemo one? . . . Ugh, this is kinda hard."
   "Leah?"
   She looked and she was quite surprised. "Coop, hey!"
   "Hey. What are you doing in this aisle?"
   "I could ask you the same thing."
   "I'm getting this for a friend of mine. They're expecting."
   "Awww."
   "Are you expecting? Are you and Zeke—"
   "No, I'm not pregnant. It's actually for this little munchkin. Cooper, meet Mackenzie." Leah patted Mackenzie a little.
   His eyes widened. "You have a baby?!"
   "Kinda."
   "Does Zeke know?"
   "I'm gonna let him know, don't worry, Coop."
   "Are you nervous?"
   "Pretty much."
   "Aye, I'll help you. Do you have a list or anything?"
   "Indeed I do." she showed him the list on her phone.
   He cringed. "That's a lot for a baby."
   "They are a lot to take care of. They need the attention and all."
   "I'll go and get another cart. I'll be right back then we'll get a crib and all that for little Mackenzie."
   "Thank you, Amari. I really appreciate this."
   "Aye, think of this as a thank you, for making my boy happy." he winked then walked away.

   "I hope she likes Minnie Mouse." Cooper said as he put a box that has the stroller in the trunk of Leahs car.
   "It was cute. Sure, it's a tad cliché for her, but it's still cute." Leah said with a shrug as she buckled Mackenzie in her car seat.
"It is." he laughed as he then placed the box with the crib in the trunk.
Leah grabbed the boxes of diapers and wipes, placing them in her car. Cooper put the box that has the rocking chair in before shut the trunk then helped Leah place the rest of the bags in the car. She hugged Cooper.
"Thank you for helping me." she smiled.
"Just keep Zeke happy, and we'll call it even." he laughed.
"I will. Later, Coop."
"Peace."

Leah walked up to her door, Mackenzie's car seat hooked on her arm, but something didn't sit right. She opened her door, finding it unlocked, even though she locked it. She grabbed the bat that she hid near the front door.
She raised it, hoping to protect her and Mackenzie from whoever was here. She heard a noise come from one of the rooms. She gently placed Mackenzie's seat on the floor, trying to remain as quiet as possible. She tip toed closer to the door. She took a breath then pushed the door open and held the bay higher ready to hit.
"Ahh!"
"Ahh!"
"Leah, Leah, it's me!"
Leah then lowered the bat. "Zeke?! What the hell, dude?! Couldn't have called or texted me earlier?!"
"I'm sorry! I know I should have, but I wanted to surprise you!" he said, making his way towards her.
"We'll you succeed at that! I could have killed you! You're lucky I didn't bash your brain in!"
"I know! I know!"
"What if I did?! You think I could have lived with that?! I would be on the run, scarred with the memory of you lying there dead because—"
He pressed his lips against hers, making her stop talking. The bat slowly fell from her hand and landed on the floor. He broke the kiss and held up a piece of paper.
"I read it." he said.
"My moms letter?"
He nodded his head.
"I know this wasn't what we had planned."
"You're keeping her?"
She bit her lip nervously and nodded her head.
"Then I'm all in."
She felt her heart leap out of her chest. "Really?"
   He grabbed her hands. "Absolutely. Sure, we didn't expect this, but there's a lot of things we didn't either. We got this."
   She smiled at him and went on her tippy toes and gave him a kiss. "So can you grab the boxes while I change her? Because I'm pretty sure she pooped."
   "Of course."
   "Put it in the room near mine."
   He nodded then went to the car and Leah grabbed Mackenzie's car seat, bringing her in the room. She took her out of the car seat and layed her on the bed.
   "Whatever you do, do not pee or poop." Leah said and Mackenzie smiled a little. "I can't tell if you're smiling because you're pooping again, or if we have an understanding, but I'm gonna hope it was option number two."