Chapter Ten

Leah continued to stare in disbelief. "W—What are doing here?"
"Can't visit my daughter or what?" Bridget said.
"After all these years? You missed my graduation for high school and collage!" she looked down to see a bunch of bags and something— . . . someone else. "Whose baby is that?"
   "This is your sister. Leah, meet Mackenzie."
   She stared at Bridget in more disbelief. "How old is she?"
   "She's . . . two months, I think."
   "Seriously, why are you here?"
   She looked down and away ashamed. "I had no where else to go. He kicked me out after he found out I was pregnant and I wanted to keep her."
   "We told you, he was going to do that. We told you he was using you."
   "The words he used—"
   "No. It doesn't matter the amount of words he used. How he touched you, or anything. He treated you like shit. It really hurt the fact that you choose some fucking loser over your kids."
"I want to fix that. That's why I'm here. To try and fix the time that I missed."
She sighed, bitting her lip as she shook her head lightly, knowing she's going to have regrets. "There's eggs and sausages inside. Do you want a waffle or something?"
Bridget looked up at her, feeling some weight come off her chest. "Yeah, that would be nice."
Leah motioned for her mother to come inside. Bridget held a bag in one hand and the baby's car seat in the other. Leah grabbed the other three bags and closed the door with her foot.
"I'll show you the guest room you'll be in." Leah said and they began to walk again.
"Oh, do you have any baby formula?"
"Does it look like I have a baby? Why didn't you just breast feed?"
"Because it'll hurt my boobs. Can you go and get some?"
She sighed a little as she opened the door to the guest room. "Here's where you'll be at, and I don't want this door locked."
"I'm your mom, you shouldn't be telling me around."
"This is also my house. I pay the bills here, I bought it, it's under my name, so I can say and do whatever I want. You said it when I was younger, and I'll say it, right now, my home, my rules."
"Leah?" Zeke's voice rang through the house.
Leah mentally face palmed, forgetting about his existence for a second.
   Bridget raised a brow. "You have a boyfriend?"
"It's complicated." she deadpanned, though she wishes he was, or at least back to how things were before playoffs. "Come on, let's go."
"Can you get Mack?" she asked before she walked off.
"Is she seriously going to be wondering my home?!" Leah muttered to herself as she took Mackenzie out of her seat and held her.
She walked out to see Bridget looking at all the photos that were around her home. Bridget smiled with a chuckle at a family photo. "I remember that day. We all went bowling together and Diana went sliding in the alley."
"You and I remember that day quite differently. The kitchen is this way."
Bridget looked down as she followed Leah.
"Leah—who are they?" Zeke said.
"Ezekiel, my mom, Bridget. Bridget, Ezekiel. Ezekiel, my now known sister, Mackenzie. Mackenzie, meet the pain in my butt, Ezekiel."
His jaw dropped. "Your mom?!"
She nodded her head.
"Isn't that Ezekiel Elliott? The football player that you—"
"The food is over there. Plates and cups are there, and the silverware is there. Here's Mackenzie so I can get her formula and is there anything else I need to get?" Leah cut Bridget off, trying to change the subject as she handed Mackenzie back.
Bridget took Mackenzie. "Diapers and wipes."
"Okay, I'll be back." Leah said as she began to walk away.
"Wait, can I come?" Zeke said.
"Zeke—"
"Please."
   I really need to stop. Leah thought to herself.
She groaned as she slung her purse over her shoulder. "Hurry up and move your ass then."
He smiled a little.
"Don't go through any of my things. I have cameras everywhere." Leah warned Bridget as she grabbed her keys.
"You know I'm proud of you and your sisters, right?" Bridget said.
"So proud that you come when we're a success instead of being there throughout the entire journey. I'm sorry to throw it on your face, but Uncle was there when you and dad weren't."
With that, her and Zeke walked out. They got in her car. She started it and began to drive. He opened his mouth.
"If you're only here to keep talking shit, I'm over it already. I already know you're going to say the same five fucking things over and over again."
"That's not why."
"I don't want your pity, sincerity, charity, or anything."
"And you were yelling at me about destroying things." Zeke muttered.
"You were taking things out of context. You didn't let it process through your thick fat head."
"I did, once you left. I replayed the fight over and over again in my head. And I do destroy it out of fear. I don't mean to mess things up for us. I just . . . It scares me that you're this important and valuable to me. I'm worried that you're going to hurt me and take a huge piece of me with you. But I'm more worried every second of the day on me hurting you. I'm such a fuck up and a mess."
"And I'm not? Just like you, my last relationship was awful, Ezekiel. I'm scared too. But I want this to work, and you know I do. You know that I want us to be together, and I know I'm not alone on this."
"Then why aren't we together, then?"
"A relationship can't work when it's only one person putting in the effort, Ezekiel. You've told me you would try, but so far, I've felt pain."
"When did I say all of this?"
"Our first big fight, Ezekiel. Thanksgiving."
He looked down at his hands.
"Yes, we love each other. But that's not really enough to hold a relationship together. If you really do love someone. You would try to make it work. You would put in all of your effort if the relationship is breaking and try and fix it. You've been breaking it and I've been trying to fix it. I don't want to be the only one fixing the damage. I need your help on it. I need you, Ezekiel."
   He nodded his head. "It's hard, but I want to try. If it means to keep you, then I'm willing to do it. I'm willing to put in the work and effort."
   She smiled. "Thank you. So far, the happy moments me and you have had are the only things that made my day. I mean, seriously! Seven or six years later, she just shows up at my doorstep? With a baby! What's next?! My dad shows up with a woman who's my age or younger and whoop-dee-do! They're married!"
"Hey, hey, it's going to be okay."
"At least you've never went through shit like this. What would I have given to have my parents be there for me and support me, God! I would never want to put my kids through that."
"You won't. You're going to be one badass of a mom."
"Thanks, Zeke. Well, we're here. Let's get this done and over with."
They got out the car and made their way into Walmart. They began to look for the baby aisle. They found the diapers and wipes, Zeke holding them. Leah then grabbed formula, a bottle and a bottle scrubber, for incase, and a few toys. They then went to the self checkout.
"A part of me can't wait to do this one day." he said out of no where.
"Do what?" she laughed a little. "Check out your own things?"
"No, go shopping for my future kid. Or hopefully kids, how do you feel about that?"
"How do you mean?"
"Us having more than one kid?" he whispered making her heart leap out of her chest as she grabbed the receipt and the bag that had the items.
She cleared her throat a little as she blushed. "I've told you, two or three."
"But what about one more?"
"Better hope that trying for baby three will be twins then." she shrugged as they left.
"Aww, come on."
"I know you would love to have a big family. I would too if it weren't too painful. It's my body that's taking most of the damage."
"But Leah, imagine all the little us' that we could have?"
"I already said what I needed to say. We could also adopt too."
He nodded his head as they stood at the car. He placed the diapers and wipes in the back seat. Leah then placed the bag in the back then the two sat in the car, Zeke now driving, and left. Zeke grabbed her hand and intertwined his fingers with hers. She smiled a little.
   Finally, things are starting to turn back to the way they used to be. All I have to do is figure out a way to fit my mom and sister—Zoey! I forgot to call Zoey! Leah thought.
"Shit! Damn it! Fuck!" Leah said letting go of Zeke's hand and grabbed her phone.
"What's wrong?"
"I gotta call Zoey." Leah said as she clicked Zoeys contact.
"Leah fucking—" Zoeys voice ringing with anger, frustration, and relief.
"I know! I know! I'm so sorry I didn't respond! But my phone died and a bunch of things happened!"
"More important than letting me know that you're okay?!"
"Zo, mom's back!"
"W—What?"
"She's back, Zo. She showed up at my door—"
"You told her to get lost, right?"
"No."
"Leah—"
"She had a baby."
"She—what?"
"She had a baby. She barely had her two months ago. Zoey, I couldn't tell her no."
She heard her sigh through the phone. "You know, you're too trusting sometimes and you need to stop giving second chances. Cause those chances usually hurt you."
"I know, I know they do. But then there's those few that pay off."
"All I know is one thing. When I come back, we're having a talk."
"Okay, we will."
"I'll text you later. I need to make sure I have all of my things. Me and Dak are going on a date."
"Fishing?"
" . . . Yeah."
"I wish you luck."
"I'm gonna need it. Bye."
"Bye." she hung up.
"How'd she take the news?" Zeke asked.
"Not too lightly. She's gonna have a talk with me when she comes back."
"Oh, good." he held her hand again and pressed his lips against the back of her hand.
   She smiled as he continued to drive, but she couldn't keep in her feelings for too long. So, she made an appointment, just like Dak had suggested. Zeke couldn't stop stealing a few glances of her. He felt like he was falling in love all over again and having deja vu.