Chapter Nine

"Hi! This is Leah! Leave a message at the beep! Beeeep! . . . That was so bad, I'm sorry!" Leah's voicemail laughed.
   "Leah, answer the damn phone already! What's going on?!" Zoey practically yelled at the phone. She looked at Dak. "Has she told you anything yet?"
He shook his head. "No, nothing yet."
   "She doesn't just say I need someone to talk to then just doesn't answer . . . And she's doesn't say that either!"
   "Hey, hey, hey, calm down. It's going to be okay." Dak said, giving her a reassuring smile then hugged her close and tight.
   She hugged him and shoved her face in his chest. "I just want to make sure she's okay."
   "She will be."
   Then Zoey thought about something and quickly grabbed her phone and going through her contacts.
   "What are you doing?"
   "Making a call." she then clicked on the contact and walked around in circles. "Hey, I need a favor."
   "What is it?" Zeke asked.

   "I'm really worried about Leah. She text me that she wanted to talk, but she hasn't been responding. That's just not like her, unless something was wrong."
   Zeke's heart sank. "S—She's not responding? Has Dak tried?"
   "Yes. We've tried calling, texting . . . Zeke, please."
   "Okay, Okay. Just stay with Dak and calm down. I'll try and text and call her." Zeke reassured.
   "Thank you, Zeke."
   "Of course. I'll let you know if anything changes." Zeke then hung up.
   He then began to blow Leahs phone up with texts and began to call her, but nothing. He then rushed to his front door keys and phone in his hands.
   "Zeke, what's going on?" Lailah asked, walking out of a guest room with a yawn.
   "I have to go. Something is wrong with Leah, and me, Dak, and her sister don't know what it is. Tell mom and dad that I'll be back." he then rushed out of his home and to his car. He fumbled trying to get his car key, till he finally got it, put it in the ignition and started the car. He drove away from his home. "Please be okay." he muttered to himself.

   Leah felt her legs begin to give out. Her knees buckled and she fell and lied on the floor. She tried to wipe away the tears as she kept on trying to catch her breath.
   Come on, stop! Please! Zoey keeps on calling! What time is it over there anyways?! Hopefully she's falling asleep or something. Leah thought to herself.
   Her phone began to ring again. She tried to get up, but she couldn't. Her trying to catch her breath made it hard. She tried to pull herself up using the fridge to pull herself up. But she couldn't. She lied there, she felt her eyes slowly shut, but she heard her door handle jiggle vigorously.
Is that a murder? Or a robber?! Well, well, fuck me, well! Leah thought to herself. The door opened and she shut her eyes. I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead, I died, I'm dead.
   "Leah?!"
. . . God? Is that you? Leah thought with a confused expression.
   "Leah, where are you?!"
Wait, Zeke? Leah thought.
   "Z—Zeke?" Leah said faintly.
   Zeke then rushed to where she was and his face fell. "Leah! What are you doing down here?! Why didn't you answer your phone?!"
   She coughed, making it harder to still catch her breath. His face changed, he was even more worried than he was before.
"It was your anxiety, wasn't it?" he asked as he knelt down.
She nodded her head and he helped her sit up. He held her close and rubbed her back.
"It's okay. You need to relax."
Being in his arms had already relaxed her. Her arms wrapped around his waist, holding him close. She rested her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. She felt herself slowly doze off. He looked down at her and picked her up. He held her by her thighs, trying to be gentle with her, as he slowly stood. He took her to her room and layed her on her bed. He then went to walk away, but she grabbed his wrist, stopping him. He looked at her and felt his heart clench.
"Where are you going?" she said, her eyes glossy.
"I'll be right back. I'm going to get you water." he said softly and gave her a kiss on her head.
He then walked away and went to her fridge and grabbed a water bottle for her. His phone buzzed, he grabbed it, put it on silent, shoved it back in his pocket, then walked back to Leah's room. Zeke saw her tired form, sitting up and trying to keep herself awake. He smiled softly at her and handed her the water.
"Here, you need it."
She took it. She took the top off and took a drink, feeling relieved as the cold liquid went down her throat. After drinking more than half of it, she closed it and placed it on the nightstand next to her.
"I know you still don't want to be around me. So, I'll go." Zeke went to get up, but she grabbed his arm, making him look at her.
"Please don't leave me." she sobbed.
He lied next to her and held her close, afraid that if he lets her go, then that's it, she's gone again. "I'm right here, Leah." He kissed her forehead. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm right where I want to be. With you."
She smiled a little. She snuggled closer to him, her head in his chest. She was still mad at him, but she loves being in his arms. They were her safe place.
   She felt her eyes close as she began to drift asleep. He looked down and her. His heart skipped a beat as he admired her. He lightly kissed her forehead.
"I love you." he whispered, knowing that she wouldn't respond or even hear.
"I love you." she said, making him jump slightly, he was so sure that she was asleep, but he smiled.
He moved a little, making her shoot up, but he immediately calmed her down. "It's okay. I'm just laying down so you could be more comfortable."
She nodded her head as he layed down and she followed him. She layed her head back on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and held her closer then he did earlier. She wrapped her arms around him as she slowly went back to sleep. He rested his cheek on her head as he began to sleep, needing answers from her in the morning.