Chapter 38, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

Later that evening, after I'd changed into my long sleeved red dress outfit dress outfit with with the matching ruby jewellery, Merlin and I were called to Arthur's chambers and we burst in.

I ask, "What happened?"

Arthur responds, sword and sheath in hand, "Elyan. He attacked me."

Arthur dumps his empty sheath on the table as he sheathes his sword into his belt. Merlin and I exchange weary looks before I say, "We think he's possessed.

"What do you mean, "possessed?" Arthur questions.

"He may have disturbed a spirit at the shrine. We think that spirit's possessing him."

Arthur gazes at me for a long moment, before Merlin demands, "Why else would he attack you?"

Arthur says as he steps around me, "When we catch him, I intend to ask him that very question."

The next morning, I stand next to Agravaine in my yellow dress.

Agravaine was saying, "Elyan must be tried and punished in accordance with our laws."

Arthur says, "That would mean putting him to death."

"Well? So be it! You can't afford to show favouritism."

Arthur questions, "What if Elyan wasn't acting of his own volition?"

I feel relieved that the Pendragon would consider my and Merlin's theory. Agravaine raises an eyebrow as he asks, "What do you mean?"

"Astrid and Merlin believe that Elyan has been possessed by some kind of spirit."

Agravaine turns to us, scoffing, "I believe they're doing that to protect their friend!"

Merlin asks, both our faces impassive, "Why else would Elyan attack Arthur?"

"His motive is obvious! He seeks revenge! You banished his sister from Camelot," Agravaine says to Arthur.

I state firmly, "I know Elyan, and no matter what he feels about his sister, he would never attack Arthur." I ignore the muscle I clearly see flickering in his jaw.

Agravaine turns back to Arthur who is giving me a raised eyebrow but my face remains impassive. I was just as upset about Gwen's banishment as Elyan and Merlin were. Agravaine says pleadingly, "Arthur, you must see! All this talk of possession and spirits... it's just a ruse to save Elyan's neck!"

"But what if it is true? I'd be executing an innocent man! More than that, I'd be executing a friend!"

Agravaine says in a strained tone, "You cannot be seen to allow someone trying to kill you and then escape punishment! You will appear weak! That puts the whole of Camelot in peril!" Arthur shakes his head as he sits down.

I cut in, "Elyan just needs someone to talk to him—not just as a King, but as his friend. Someone who could at least try to understand him about what's happened recently." I give Arthur a pointed look. When he didn't say anything, I add, "Arthur—"

"Leave me," He interrupts. I turn to my husband, giving Agravaine an unpleasant look as I pass him and he faces his nephew. I wasn't going to hide my dislike toward Agravaine if I didn't want to. I think Agravaine knows by now just what I think of him. I smirk inwardly as Arthur adds to Merlin and Agravaine, "All of you."

Huh! So his Uncle isn't so special as to get to stay back.

Merlin hesitates slightly before he falls into step beside me.