Chapter 32, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

I sit on the chair beside Uther's bed. I'm wearing my pink dress outfit with my gold locket and fingerless arm warmers.

I gaze down at the king's ashen, still face, his grey hair. I'd always seen Uther as a strong king, but now, he's just an old man.

An old, broken man with a shattered soul.

I look up when there's a knock on the door and Merlin enters, approaching me.

"Merlin," I greet with a smile.

"How's my girl?"

"Good." He chuckles before turning serious again, gazing at me. "I was starting to get worried. How did it go?" I ask.

"Well, apart from Arthur thinking there's something very wrong with my bladder, everything went to plan!"

"I take it that means you're going through with it?" I ask.

Merlin steps closer to me as says, "If I can heal Uther, Arthur has given me his word that, when he is king, magic will no longer be outlawed! This could change everything!"

"That's amazing! I hope everything goes smoothly," I say.

"So do I," He says.

Merlin cups my right cheek and caresses it as he leans in as I smile, and kisses my forehead. "Now, I have to get going to prepare for tonight—I have to meet Arthur at the gate to the lower town by nightfall."

Merlin kisses my cheek softly. He pulls away and I watch him leave.

                       🗡🗡🗡

That night, Merlin is about to leave for his mission to heal Uther.

Gaius reminds the warlock, pointing at the instructions in a book on healing spells, "You must use only four drops. Any more could be dangerous."

"I just hope I can remember the spell," Merlin says, taking the book from his uncle.

I encourage him, "You must trust in your abilities, Merlin."

"MERLIN!!" The sound of Arthur hollering down the corridor causes all of us to jerk our heads up.

Merlin says desperately, as he glances between Gaius and I, "You have to get rid of him!"

"MERLIN!!!"

Merlin quickly dashes to the wall behind the door, just before it's thrown open. Gaius quickly takes up the book my mate had been reading and chucked on the table while I make myself appear as if I'm also reading one of Gaius's text books.

"Arthur!" The Physicisn and I greet in unison, jerking our heads up in feigned surprise.

"Gaius, Astrid, have you seen my useless toad of a servant?" The Prince demands.

Gaius and I exchange glances, as we fumble for words. My mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water for a moment, I say, "I'm afraid not."

"I'm surprised. Well, where on earth is he?" Arthur sighs in exasperation.

Here, Gaius and I exchange glances once more. I make myself look innocent as I query, "Have you tried the tavern?"

Merlin is so going to kill me for this, but it really was the only thing that'd popped into my head.

"The tavern!" He says in exaggeration, annoyance glinting in his bright blue eyes. "I am going to make him wish he was never born!" Arthur turns and shuts the door with a soft slam, revealing Merlin giving me an unhappy expression.