Chapter 37, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

I sit next to Gwen and Agravaine in the stands during the Jousting tournament later that day.

The rounds flew by and, as expected, Arthur made it through to the semi finals. One rider was hit so hard that he crashed right through the fence, when Lancelot had his round.

I notice that Gwen was especially excited for his match.

I had Jas cook up dinner for me and Merlin in our house, and she soon leaves to have her own dinner. As we were eating, Merlin keeps humming in content as he says, "The chicken is good!" I smile as I eat some chicken myself. "Nice broth. What do you know about Necromancy?"

The question was so sudden it caught me off guard and I nearly choke on my chicken, making Merlin blink his eyes a few times. I set my fork down. "What?" I exclaim, shocked.

"Well, you know lots... about lots of things, don't you?" Merlin asks as I continue to stare at him in shock.

"Necromancy is the most dangerous of all magical practices," I say once I'd finally gotten over my initial shock, seeing the eagerness shining in Merlin's blue grey eyes. "Even in the days of the Old Religion, such sorcery was viewed with the utmost suspicion." Merlin lets out a sigh as he averts his eyes. I lean my arms on the table as I lean forward and ask wearily, "I know I'm going to regret asking you this, Merlin, but why do you want to know?"

What Merlin says next confirms my thought from this morning. He says in a low tone, "I think that someone has raised Lancelot from the dead. I know you don't want to believe it, but..."

I nod my head in agreement as I say, "By "someone," I presume you mean Morgana?" He nods. Sadness glints in my eyes at the thought as I add, "The legends do speak of such creatures. They're call Shades—an undead soul summoned from their rest by the Necromancer's Art."

Merlin asks, "So, it is possible?"

"Even it is possible, we have no way of knowing for sure," I say with a sigh. Merlin leans down and picks up a book from the chair beside his. Sitting it upon the table, I read the title, The Art of Necromancy. I flick my eyes back up to Merlin's face, murmuring thoughtfully, "Or do we?"

I grab my blue coat and Merlin and I rush to the Physician's Quarters to tell Gaius what Merlin had told me, and about our plan. Gaius had fallen asleep as I help Merlin draw the circle that will detect if Lancelot is a Shade or not.

We clasp our hands once Merlin finishes off the circle and chant, "Onluc tha sothan treow!" It glows orange and we jerk our heads up in surprise when we hear a noise coming from the bed chambers. Merlin and I quietly walk up to the door to see Lancelot putting on his black shirt.

Merlin shakes Gaius awake, saying, "It's time!" We go to the broom cupboard and manage to squeeze all three of us in, though it was a bit tight.

We watch as Lancelot exits the bed chamber, and the second he steps onto the magic circle, it glows orange and his flesh fades out for an instant, revealing nothing but bare bones and empty eye sockets.

Lancelot continues out the door like nothing happened, and the four of us step out of the broom cupboard, my heart sinking, when the door shuts behind Lancelot.

I say softly, sadness in my voice, "I didn't want it to be true—none of us did." Merlin squeezes my shoulder comfortingly, as he knows that Lancelot was one of my closest friends.

Gaius sighs, "I know. We all wanted him back."

"Yeah. More than anything."

Gaius says, "This man is a shadow of his former self—a shadow with ill intent."