Chapter 13, Part 1

Astrid's P. O. V:

I stand off to the side as Arthur helps Morgana mount her bay horse, and he fixes her red cloak. He tells her, "I hope your trip isn't too upsetting." I notice the prince gazing after Gwen, who has paused in mounting her white horse, and is gazing back at Arthur. "Make sure you return before dusk."

Just recently, Arthur was almost assassinated during a jousting tournament and had to hide out at Gwen's house, but was saved by Merlin. After that, Morgana had awakened more of her powers and had freaked out about it, fearful of what Uther would do to her should he find out.

I'd tried to help Morgana by assuring her her magic is nothing to be afraid of, but she was so unnerved and worked up that Morgana turned me away. I understood her fear, and told Morgana she can come talk to me anytime about her magic.

Gaius was furious when Merlin sent Morgana to the Druids, believing they could help. It had worked, but Uther believed the Druids had kidnapped Morgana and hunted them down, slaughtering them in the process. Merlin and I had encountered Mordred in the forest and refused to save him from the knights and guards surrounding him.

Mordred had gotten away in the end, and everyone returned home safely.

Morgana has been coming to me to talk about her magic since, and I've been showing Morgana that it's nothing to be scared of—not even because of Uther. All in secret, of course.

"Yes, Sire," The knight at the front of the group responds before Gwen mounts her horse and they continue forward.

I look up when Merlin comes jogging down the steps while carrying a shield that has arrows stuck in it, and a crossbow over his shoulder. He smiles at me which I return.

I nudge Arthur's side gently, causing the blonde to glance at me as I murmur, "Don't worry. They'll be fine." He knew I was referring to both Morgana and Gwen.

Merlin asks Arthur, "Where are they going?"

"Morgana's on a pilgrimage to her father's grave," Arthur explains, taking the crossbow from Merlin as he sets the shield down.

I go with the males as they head for the training field for target practise, as I'd also wanted to train.

🗡🗡🗡

Later that evening, I stand next to Merlin, Jas and Arthur in the throne room when Morgana's party hasn't returned yet.

Arthur was saying to his father, "Morgana's party hasn't returned to Camelot. There's no sign of her anywhere." I feel worried for both of my friends and pray that they'll be alright.

Uther orders, "Send riders to the outline villages." Arthur nods. "I want every guard, every sentry, looking for her."

"I'll dispatch them immediately," Arthur says before we disperse to get ready for the search.

I ride Eclipse beside Merlin's horse as we ride down a trail in the forest, trying to find any clues for Morgana's whereabouts. And Gwen's. We come to a stop when we see all of Morgana's guards lying prostrate on the ground.

Arthur orders as he dismounts, "Check to see if there's anyone alive!"

The rest of us dismount Arthur when he pulls a sword out of the ground next to a fallen knight. I follow Merlin as Arthur murmurs, "It's Mercian craftsmanship."

My eyes widen when we see an arrow sticking out of a knight's back, a letter stick to it. Merlin and I say in unison, "Arthur." He turns to us as we crouch and Merlin pulls it off the arrow. I read it over his shoulder, my eyes widening further.