Chapter 27, Part 3

Astrid's P. O. V:

After dinner that night, I was finishing off taking out my jewellery, having already gotten into my pink night gown with puffed sleeves with Jas's help as Merlin paces my room. He'd just gotten back from talking to Gilli and I'd just started getting ready for bed.

"I don't know what else to do, Astrid. He just won't listen to me. How am I supposed to get him to withdraw?" Merlin muses.

"We both know what Uther will do if we tell the king. So that's out of the question," I say, pacing my second earring in the small box before I start brushing out my golden blonde hair with my hairbrush

"But, he is using magic, and if he keeps at it, Uther will eventually find out..."

"I did try talking to him before dinner, and he still wouldn't listen to me," Merlin says.

I ask, "Merlin, why are you so desperate to save Gilli?"

"Because... because I thought since he has magic, he was like me. And you, and Mira. I've had Gaius and you, and our daughter has bit of us and Gaius. He has no one. I just don't want him to suffer such a terrible fate. That's why I told him about us having magic. I thought it might prevent him from using it in front of everyone..." Merlin answers, and I gently stroke his hair, face full of understanding.

I finish brushing my hair and go over to him and wrap my arms around Merlin's waist. I say gently, "Hey, it's okay. I'm not mad at you for telling him. You did what you could. He might not have listened to me, either."

Merlin says, "I've told him that you, me and Mira have magic and I showed him, in the hopes it will get him to understand. I don't think he'll withdraw. I think he might actually go ahead and kill the king."

I cup Merlin's cheek and stroke it gently, "You've done everything you could for the boy. What happens next is his decision—not because you've failed. So, don't blame yourself." Merlin nods as he leans into my touch, half closing his eyes.

After a minute, I lean forward and gently press my lips to his, letting them linger there. When we pull back, I smile softly at Merlin and he connects our lips together again, our lips moving against one another in a deep kiss, as Merlin cups the back of my head.

"Come, let's go to bed," I say gently, and Merlin agrees.

🗡🗡🗡

It's the day of the final round with Uther vs Gilli. I'm wearing my pink dress with my gold locket.

I stand next to Jas as the crowd cheers for their king, sword held in the air. The cheers grow louder as Jas and I spot Gilli heading through the gate entrance. Merlin steps forward out of surprise as the boy pauses at the entrance. He turns his darkened eyes to us, mostly glaring at Merlin though.

Merlin shakes his head in one final attempt to dissuade Gilli, but he just flicks his eyebrows up once and smirks darkly at us before he strides into the arena. Merlin sighs in disappointment.

We turn our attention back to the arena and see Arthur sitting in the throne, clapping, Morgana on his right, with me on his left. Uther inclines his head to Gilli before he puts his helmet on his head and turns around to face him.

Holding up his sword, Uther says, "For glory!"

Gilli echoes, "For glory!" Then, both males get into their stances.

Gilli makes the first move as Uther thrusts his sword forward, the sound of steel clashing ringing throughout the arena. Gilli makes to stab for Uther's stomach but the king manages to knock his sword right out of his hand. As Gilli goes to snatch up his sword, Uther brings his down, but the brunette was able to jerk backwards in time to avoid being cut in half, and Uther's sword embeds itself into the earth, due to Gilli having used his magic. Uther grunts as he tries to free his weapon.